Chapter Sixteen

I came down the stairs slowly for I didn't want to disturb anyone. It was only five in the morning and I only got four hours of sleep. I reached the bottom of the stairs to find a singular light on. Daniel sat in his big brown chair, sipping a steamy cup of coffee. He glanced up at me almost as he was expecting me to be there.

"Can't sleep?" he asked turning back towards the window. It was drizzling outside and a singular police car was stationed across our house.

I nodded as I walked over carrying Thor in my arms before setting him next to his food dish. "Yeah. Too much is on my mind."

"You've probably been told this at least a thousand times but we mean it when we said you'll be safe here," he told me before gesturing for me to sit on the arm of the chair.

I slowly sat down as he spoke, "If anything were to happen I got my hunting gear out. You and your brothers are part of our family and I will protect everyone in this house."

"You're going to shoot my father?" I asked surprised. I wasn't angered at it but it seemed so unlike him to say that.

He sipped his coffee slowly. The beans settled in the air making me more awake then I was before. "A father wouldn't harm his own kids in the first place. If your father had some awareness of that then he wouldn't dare come near you again. But if he were to then I choose your lives over his. I hope you understand that."

"Of course. I would do the same but it just," I paused as I searched the ground for the right words.

Sure my parents were not the #1 mother and father of the year but did they deserve to die? They did send the police our location rather than letting us die.

I gave Daniel an unsure and he patted my shoulder. "It'll be the last resort." I gave him a small smile before getting up.

"What are we going to do now?"

He picked up his book and said, "We wait and see. It's best to get back to bed. You still have school."

"Ugh, school. Don't remind me," I laughed before saying. "You still have work also."

"Ugh you are right," he said before waving me back up the stairs. Despite being in a better mood than before, the thoughts still lingered in my head.

^~^

I remained cautious the next week and made sure not to linger around especially if I was alone. I had filled Valeria within the first and she was completely understanding and offered to help us if need. Soon enough the police car was gone and everyone was more at ease. Despite my brothers being gullible they did notice the change of tension in our house.

"So I was wondering if you wanted to do a little shopping with me, that is if you're up for it. My cousin's birthday is tomorrow and I am responsible for gifting her clothing."

I gave her a look. "Clothing? As a present?"

"The child's only two, okay. Besides it was either that or buying pull-ups," she said in defense. "So... you want to come or not?"

"Just let me touch in with the Thompsons, first."

^~^

After goofing off for an hour, we were finally ready to buy the items. We made our way towards the front store before I noticed familiar blonde hair. Panic fled through my body and I dragged Valeria behind a shelf. "Shit," I hissed as I watched my mother push a cart filled with items. She stood at the cash register, an infant car sit on the cart. "She has a child too?"

"North, what are you talking about?" She leaned over trying to see until she sees the adult with the only baby. "Oh. Are you sure that's your mother?"

"Positive," I narrowed my eyes at her as she finished checking out before turning to the small baby. My heart ached at the child despite being able to see them well. Was it another boy or a girl? I couldn't possibly see her having another child, much less raising her.

I turned to the entrance of the store just to see two young boys and Daniel. My eyes widen and I started forward but Valeria stopped me.

She shook her head, "If you burst out then you'll create a scene. Maybe she won't notice them."

I stepped back but continued to glare at her. She didn't seem to notice until Oliver fell to the ground because of his stupid untied shoelaces.

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" she asked, as she helped him to his feet.

How dare she lay a finger on him. I gripped the shelf tightly, containing my urge to ran out there and smack her arm away. Oliver didn't seem to recognize her but instead nodded his head. Asher stood there studying her closely while Daniel went to him.

"Oliver, I told you to tie your shoes in the car," Daniel sighed before bending down to tie them.

"That's a nice name for a small boy. Are you their parents?"

"I swear if she doesn't leave in five seconds I'm running out there," I mumbled aloud.

"No you're not," Valeria told me.

Daniel gave her a confused look before picking him up. "Yes."

"Can we get my pants for class now?" Asher asked pulling at his shirt, he clearly looked nervous by the look of his hands shaking.

Daniel looked down at him before nodding, "We should be going on. It was nice meeting you."

My mother nodded before waving them goodbye. They both disappeared from my sight and stepped out. "I don't like this, Val. Something is up."