Chapter Thirteen

"They won't be leaving right away but there will be visits while their grandparents wait for the ruling," I heard Mrs. Haley say, as the boys and I sat on the stairs, eavesdropping.

"So now we are just their babysitters?" Sandy told her, the tone of her voice sounded rather annoyed.

Mrs. Haley let out a sigh before saying, "Our goal is to reunite families. Not that you guys weren't a family before-"

"How do you know that this is their real family? Why would they show up now and not like a year ago when these kids really needed them?" Daniel asked.

The boys next to me listen attentively, they held their hands together before leaning against me. They didn't want to leave and neither did I. The only thing I feared most is if our grandparents bond with them then they will want to leave.

"The only thing I can say is that they have all the necessary documents to be related to the three of them," she told the Thompson. There was a short pause before I heard shuffling from down below. "It's best if I get going. I'm sorry I had to break it to you two like this. You've been wonderful to the three kids."

"No, it's fine. Um. Here let us walk you out," Sandy told her. The front door open before silence fell upon the house.

Oliver looked up at me with a sadden expression. "So we have to say goodbye soon?"

"I'm afraid so Ollie." I rubbed his back before standing up. "Come I'll read you two a bedtime story to make you feel happy."

Asher slowly got up with a frown, "But I don't want to leave. I like my school-"

"Me too!" Oliver said, "I like my teacher now."

They clambered into a bed and I tucked them in with a small kiss on their head. Oliver pulled out a book from the covers and held it up as I sat next to them.

I stared at it and frowned. "How about something that doesn't deal with family."

"But I like this one," he pouted and I looked over at Asher that was waiting.

"Fine." I took the book from him and started. "What is A Family?"

They watched as I turned to the first page. "Families are the brave ones who slay your scary dragons."

"You and Sandy help me with my scary nightmares," Oliver said aloud before I could go to the next page.

I smiled slightly before reading on, "Or take you on adventures in your squeaky wagon."

"Daniel took me and Ollie to a park while we waited for you to come home. We played Sea Monster-"

"Daniel makes a good Sea Monster."

"You should play with us next time, North."

I nodded, "Of course, but you better be careful. I like to eat little seamen." I reached over and tickled their stomachs which caused them to squeal in laughter. "Nom! Nom! Nom!"

Oliver fell off before sticking his tongue out, "You can't eat me, Sea Monster!"

"At least I have one-" Asher slipped from the bed and scrambled away. "No my food!" I dramatically fell on the bed. "If I don't eat then I will be hungry!"

The two of them jumped on top of me and dropped multiple crayons on me. The smell of the wax was strong and nearly made me cough.

"I brought you some fish so you wouldn't eat us, Mr. Sea Monster."

"Mr. Sea Monster?"

"Yes now eat," Oliver shoved a blue crayon near my face and I pretend to eat it.

"Nom. That was delicious."

Asher grabbed a handful and said, "My turn to feed the Sea Monster."

I made gobbling noise to pretend I ate the crayons and said, "I ate them all. Mr. Sea Monster is full and is ready to sleep." I picked up Asher and placed him on his blue bed.

"Awe. I don't want to go to bed now," Asher whined as I tucked him in.

"Well Mr. Sea Monster is tired and it's time for you to be sleeping," I told the two kids. I picked up the crayons that were all over Oliver's bed before tucking him in as well.

"Night Night," Oliver yawned as I turned out the light and put the nightlight in.

"Sweet dreams you two," I smiled before closing their bedroom door.