Chapter Fifteen

A/N Thanks for almost the 1K reads! I appreciate it!
~~~

"They're going to arrest him right?" At the thought of my father, fear crawled on my skin. The blue truck came to mind than his face. How long was he watching us? Ten minutes? One minute? Long enough for him to know that we're here.

"North. North!" Mrs. Haley placed both hands on my shoulders, pulling me from my thoughts. We stood outside the Thompson's house. It was just me and her outside. The boys were told to go inside with the Thompson. Once she saw that I gave her my undivided attention she spoke, "Everything will be alright. Breath for me... do it."

I took a deep breath, calming myself, and she smiled. "Good. We already contacted the police and I gave them the description you told me. You're safe here."

"But like what if he comes here!" I cried out. I smooth back my hair as the tears fell. I take in a shaky breath at the thought of him breaking in. Would he kill us? No. He would have done that a long time ago. What did he want then? All the possibilities ran through my head before I looked back at her. "Please don't let him take me back. If anything, protect my brothers."

Mrs. Haley wiped away the oncoming tears before bringing me into a hug. She ran a hand on my back as I cried. "Let it all out." I stepped back and wiped my eyes with my hand and she said, "Now. You got to be brave for their sake, okay. We'll do our part of keeping you three and the Thompsons safe. Can you promise me that?" I nodded and she patted my shoulder. "Let's head inside. You're okay."

Daisy greeted us at the door like usual and this time I actually knelt down to greet her. I didn't want to face my adoptive parents just yet, and lucky they left the room to speak to Mrs. Haley.

I stared at the pale dog and her chocolate brown eyes stared at me. She whined and placed her paw on my shoulder and I smiled. "You'd protecting me from my father, right, Daisy?" The dog continued to sit there before letting out a muffled bark, her signal for attention. "Of course you wouldn't." I patted her head and stood up just as the three adults entered.

"If anything were to happen, definitely call the police first, but once safe notify our office," Mrs. Haley told them as she opened the front door. She patted my shoulder reassuringly, before leaving.

I turned to look at Sandy and Daniel. "So what's the plan?"

Sandy smiled with a worried expression while Daniel answered, "A policeman is going to be stationed at our house for the next few days. As long as he doesn't show up then we should be fine."

Sandy ran a hand through my hair as she pulled me into a motherly hug before releasing me. "You and your brothers will be safe here. We'll take extra precautions until everything is back to normal."

I nodded slowly. "Of.. of course. Thank you."

Daniel patted my shoulder and tilted his head up. "Best be getting ready for bed. You did your schoolwork right?"

I smiled slightly as he tried to change the subject. "Yeah. I got it down during... study hall."

"We've got a Star student on our hands!" Sandy exclaimed.

I headed up the stairs and peeked into my brothers' room. The lights were off except for the singular night light. I stood watching them for a few minutes. Asher's snores peacefully come from his tiny body while Oliver hugged his stuffed dinosaur tight.

Shutting the door, I walked into my room with Thor in my arms. The cat didn't protest when I laid him on my bed, but instead rolled over and fell asleep. Fifteen minutes later, I found myself showered and in bed. The lights to the bedroom turned off and I fell asleep to nightmares instead of dreams.