Chapter Twelve

"North the truth is... we would like to adopt you and your brother but-"

I raised an eyebrow and said, "You do?" The truth is I have never heard anyone say that, much less given a chance to prove myself. Though the connection between us was hardly there and I didn't feel the same. They were just another stranger to me and I knew it wasn't going to be anything more. I slowly turned my head from them. "I'm sorry but I don't feel the same way. I don't think this is going to work."

"North, darling," Sandy began and came to sit next to me. She placed a hand on my arm bring my attention to her. She gave me a small smile. "It's only been a few days and to be honest. Quite the hardest for both us and you. We aren't giving up you or your brothers."

I titled my head and questioned, "Then what did you do with them?"

"They're at Grayson's house for a sleepover. They should be home soon," Daniel answered from the chair. "What we are trying to say is we can't do this without you. It's obvious that they don't want to listen to us but they will listen to you."

Sandy added, "But we don't want you to be the parent either. That's our job." She stroked my arm with her thumb. My eyebrows furrowed as I concentrated on their next words. "We want you to be a teenager. Drive a car, go to Prom, make friends your age. Go to some awesome parties-"

"No boys, alcohol, or drugs!"

I saw the amusement in both their eyes as I smiled. "Okay," I nodded. I tensed at the physical content of Sandy's hug. She pulled away as she smoothes the top of my head with her hand and turned to her husband.

"Best we get dinner ready before they come," she wiped a small tear as she walked away.

I continued to sit on the couch petting Daisy's head for a while before hearing a car pull into the driveway. In one swift motion, I was up and at the front door. Two small children tackled me in a massive hug as Ms. Haley walked in behind him.

"North! Daisy!" They hugged before running to pet the bouncing Golden Retriever. Mrs. Haley entered from behind them and I paused what I was doing.

I nodded, "Mrs. Haley."

"I'm sorry I worried you, dear," she apologized, as she set down the boys' bags. Her strawberry colored hair was pulled back as she focused on me. She let out a sigh as her eyes darted to the boys than me.

I knew this look immediately and whispered, "Tell me." She pulled me into an embrace and I instantly tensed. The beating of my heart pounded as she pulled back, her eyes filled with sadness. "No," I shook my head.

"They're here. Your grandparents specifically, not your parents," she whispered to me. She pulled out her cellphone to show me the email.

My hands clenched tightly and I narrowed my eyes. "I don't want to go and I'm not letting the boys go either," I hissed. My head ached as I tried to think. Why now after all these years? Why when things are going so well.

Mrs. Haley placed a hand on my shoulder but I shook her off. I quickly rushed into the kitchen to find the others, Mrs. Haley trailing behind me. Sadie watched the interaction and raised an eyebrow in suspicion and confusion. She carried a small pot in her hands but stood waiting.

"Is there a problem?" Daniel asked he stepped closer to me with protection. The fear in my eyes must have given it away along with my nervous tapping on my foot.

Mrs. Haley looked between the to and sighed, "Their grandparents are here to claim them. While you two have done a wonderful job of helping these kids... it's also our job to reunite families together. They will be leav-"

Crash!

The orange pot shattered to the ground along with all its contents. The tuna casserole sat in a clump while the pieces of the pot dispersed everywhere. I looked away at the sadness that fell upon their faces.

Did you miss us, North?

Why does my life suck?