"Oh, wonderful! I just know you both are perfect candidates!" Jill exclaims. "I'll send you over an email with a list of documents we need. First, we will conduct a background check. I know you'll both pass with flying colors, but it's mandatory. Once you pass, we'll start the rest of the paperwork. Once everything is finalized, which will take about two to three months, Isabella and a caretaker from child services will fly down for a home visit. Isabella will spend the weekend with you both and if she feels comfortable and your house is deemed safe for her, then you will become her foster parents for one year. After that one year is up, you may legally adopt her." Jill explains. 

I turn to Ellie, watching the smile on her face only grow bigger. 

"Do you ladies have any questions?" Jill asks. 

"We don't at the moment, but we'll let you know if any arise," I say, speaking for the both of us. 

"Alright then, expect an email from me by the end of the day. And congratulations." Jill says before hanging up. 

I turn to Ellie, immediately embracing her in a long hug. "We're gonna be parents," I say, almost finding it hard to believe. 

"Parents," Ellie repeats. 

After our call with Jill, Ellie and I took a shower together, where we celebrated the news about Isabella in a not-so-family-friendly way if you know what I mean. 

When I get out of the shower, I notice a few missed calls from Marissa. I listen to her voicemail as I watch Ellie rummage through her dresser for a pair of lounge shorts-wearing absolutely nothing. With my attention focused on Ellie, I replay Marissa's voicemail again. 

"Hey babe, do you want to go on a double date tonight?" I ask. 

"With who?" 

"Marissa and her new boyfriend." 

"Is this the guy from the diner? The one who always sits in her section?" She asks, pulling her tank top over her head. 

"She didn't specify." 

"Well, I'm always down for a night on the town with you," Ellie says, twirling a strand of damp hair that hangs next to my cheek. 

***

"I'm sorry where are we going?" I ask as Ellie puts it into the GPS. 

"It's called Five Below. It's an ice bar that opened up a few months ago." 

"How does an ice bar even function in Los Angeles? It's seventy-four degrees out today." 

"Honey, it's not outside. It's inside. Everything is made of ice. The walls, seats, even the cups. All ice." Ellie explains as she revs up the engine to merge onto the highway. 

"I don't think I'm dressed appropriately to sit on a chair made of ice," I say in observation as I pull my dress down over my knees. I'm wearing a fitted, long sleeve black dress with a v neck and open-toed black-tie leg pumps. Yeah, definitely not dressed appropriately. 

"Don't worry, the price of admission includes gloves and jacket rental, along with 2 cocktails and a souvenir photo and take-home shot glass," Ellie explains. 

"Well as long as it includes two cocktails." I tease. She rolls her eyes jokingly before focusing her attention on the road again. 

It's not long before we're pulling into Five Below's parking lot. A line of about two dozen people wraps around the front of the bar. 

"Does this place take reservations? And if so, do we have one?" I ask, not wanting to stand in the heat and humidity for god knows how long. 

"They don't but the line should move quickly."