Chapter 2

First published: April 2015
Revised: March 2021

*Ellies POV*
I can't believe I just met Demi Lovato, even if the circumstances were rather sticky. I open the Diner door slowly, hoping to sneak to the back without being seen.

"Ellie, glad you could join us." Matt says with a little sarcasm. Matt is the great grandson of Richard. When Richard passed away a few years ago, Matt's dad took over the diner.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I had a bit of an accident." I say, signaling to the coffee stains on my shirt.

Matt looks up at my shirt quickly. "Go see my cousin, Carlos over there. He will be training you and another new girl today, He can get you one of our uniform shirts to change into."

"T-Thanks." I say. I walk over to Carlos who is working the espresso machine.

"Hi, I'm Ellie. Matt said you would be training me today. And that you could get me a shirt." I say with a chuckle, hoping to break the ice. I'm not that great at starting conversations with strangers.

Carlos looks up at me and immediately can't look away. He becomes stiff, eyes glued to me. His mouth curls into a smile, but is cut short when he screams in pain, hot coffee overflowing the styrofoam cup under the machine, spilling into his hand. The Diner becomes silent, all eyes on us. Oh do I hate being the center of attention. He uses his apron to wipe the coffee on his hand before cradling it like a newborn baby.

Not knowing what to do, I grab a cup of ice and wrap it in a rag before handing it to him. "Thanks. So much for a great first impression." He chuckles. I give him a forced smile. "I'm Carlos." He says, extending his non-burned hand.

"Ellie." I say, shaking his hand.

"So have you ever worked in a food service before?" He asks.

"No, but I attend them on a regular basis." I say, trying to crack a joke.

"Well it's easy. Follow me to the back and I'll get you a uniform." He says. I follow him behind the counter and through the staff only door. He hands me 2 black t-shirts that have the Richards Diner logo on the chest as well as an apron.  "The other new girl is in the bathroom changing. When she's done you can change." He says pointing to bathroom door that is tucked away in the corner. He returns to the counter and I am left in the back, alone. I look around, trying to take in where everything is so I remember.

"Hi, you must be new too." I hear from behind me. I turn around to see an oddly familiar face.

"Yeah, I'm Eleanor. But people just call me Ellie or El." I say.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Marissa." She says, extending her hand out for a handshake. When she said her name, I remember where I know her from. My new co worker is Marissa Callahan. Marissa is Demi's best friend, which is probably why she was here earlier today. She wanted to see her best friend off on her first day of work. But why does Marissa want to work at a family diner for minimum wage?

"I know who you are." I state. "You're Marissa Callahan, Demi Lovato's best friend." She nods her head. "Why are you working here? I'm sure you have plenty of connections." I ask.

She nods her head. "I do, but I try to stay humble and remember where I came from." She explains. I nod my head in understanding. "So, has Carlos mind fucked you yet?"  Marissa jokes.

I nod my head. "He burned his hand with hot coffee in the process." I laugh.

***
My first day of work has finally come to an end. Carlos' hand wasn't too burned, so he still managed to train Marissa and I. Unfortunately. I didn't know how bad I was at doing simple tasks like cutting a bagel in half or toasting bread to an appropriate toasty-ness. Even after cutting almost a dozen bagels and toasting a whole loaf of bread, I always managed to cut the bagel uneven and burn the toast.

"So Ellie, what are your plans for the rest of the day?" Marissa asks, untying her apron and stuffing it inside her bag.

"Actually, believe it or not, your best friend's assistant is coming by to pick up this jacket she spilt coffee on this morning." I say holding my leather jacket up.

Marissa chuckles. "Did Demi spill coffee on you this morning? I swear she's such a klutz, even without heels."

"Yeah, but it's okay. I'm just happy I met her. I've been a fan since her Camp Rock days." I admit. I glance up at the clock  on the wall. 4:15 PM. "Shit. I'm gonna be late. Her assistant will be at my place soon and I still have to walk home." I say frantically, stuffing my clothes in my bag.

"Well why don't I give you a lift? My car is just right outside." Marissa offers.

"Are you sure you don't mind? I'd hate to be a burden."

"Yes, come on. Let me just send a quick text." Marissa ensures me.

I follow Marissa out of Richards Diner and to her car. I give her my address I am surprised to find out Marissa lives in the same Apartment building as me. I swear, everything today feels surreal. We pull up to the apartment complex and Marissa parks in her assigned parking spot. We exit the car and walk into the foyer of the apartment complex.

"Marissa, Ellie!" I hear from the common area lounge . Demi? She has her long dark hair in a pony tail and dark shades to hide her eyes. But her cute butt chin gives her identity away immediately. What is she doing here? Well she's friends with Marissa so maybe she is here for her. I'm crazy to think she would be here for me. We walk towards Demi, joining her on the couch.

"Hey, Ellie. Sorry again for earlier. I was in a rush to get to the studio." Demi apologizes. "Marissa texted me and hinted that you are a fan so I figured I'd come in person to apologize again instead of sending my assistant. I hope that's okay."

"T-that's fine." Is all I can say.

A large group of people enter the apartment building and I can tell Demi is starting to feel uneasy. She adjusts her sunglasses and puts her hood over her head.

Marissa informs us that she has a dinner date that she has to get ready for, leaving Demi and I alone in the lounge. Demi is the first to break the silence.

"I didn't know which apartment was yours."

"Sorry. It's 513." I say. For some reason, my body will not settle down. I've met my fair share of celebrities at concerts. However, this feeling is different. My palms are sweating, hands are shaking and I can't stop myself from grinning. Demi suggests we go upstairs to my apartment.  Is she serious? She just met me. I push all negative and questioning thoughts aside and agree. The elevator ride and the walk to my apartment seem like a never ending journey. Although Demi keeps a respectable distance between us at all times, I can't help but catch a whiff of her Vanilla perfume from time to time. I unlock my apartment door and open it for her. She walks in, looking around at the minimal decor I have on the walls.

"Simplicity. I like it." She praises. "So your jacket."

"Yes. Let me get it." I say walking over the plastic to go bag I took from the diner. I turn around and Demi is no longer in my living room. Where did she go? I turn the corner and see her looking at the family photos on the hallway walls.

The Coffee Spill |Demi Lovato|जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें