Chapter 4

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*
I had just laid down for the night. I was on an emotional high after Demi left. The events that happened today were things that only ever happened in fairytales. Or fan fictions. I close my eyes when I hear a loud knocking on my front door. Who could that be? I'm much of an introvert. Therefore, I do not socialize with my neighbors often. The only person who ever knocks on my door is my 80 year old neighbor Ms. Stevens when she needs me to reach something on a high shelf. I get up and throw on an over sized t shirt over my bra and underwear. It barely covers my ass. I debate putting on shorts, until there is another knock at the door. I walk over to the door and open it, just enough for my head and upper body to be shown.

Standing in front of me is Demi. She is wearing the same outfit she was earlier. This time she has makeup running down her cheeks, eyes swollen red. I open the door a little wider and she immediately invites herself in, wrapping her arms around my neck, burying her head inside the crook of my neck.  I slowly walk backwards, just enough for the door to clear our bodies and I shut it with my foot. I walk us to the couch, Demi loosening her grip around my neck only to wrap her arms around my abdomen, making my shirt rise, exposing my bare legs.

"He never loved me." Demi whispers, breaking the silence.

"Who?" I ask, using the same volume.

"W-Wilmer." she says.

"What did he do to you?" I ask scared of the response to come.

"I-I caught h-him cheating. Again." she manages to answer, lowering her head onto my chest. Wilmer cheated on Demi? And more than once? Demi was sitting on this couch just a few hours ago, telling me how he proposed to her. What changed?

"Well he's an asshole who doesn't deserve you. You're amazing and if he can't see that, well he isn't worth it." I say rubbing circles on her back. We stay like that for a while, her breathe slowing down to a steady beat. Before I know it, Demi is fast asleep in my embrace. I took a few minutes to admire the beauty in front of me. Even with tear stained cheeks, she is still as flawless in person as she is on TV. Perfectly manicured eyebrows with not a blemish in sight. And something about her butt chin makes my lips curl into a smile. Absolutely beautiful.

I brush a few strands of hair out of Demi's face that had fallen out of her pony tail. She doesn't move a muscle. I don't want to disturb her, but my legs begin to get numb in the position we are in. I remove Demi's hands from my waist, slipping out from under her. I put a pillow under her head and cover her with the blanket that was draped over the lounge chair. Not wanting Demi to wake up in a strange place alone, I lay down on the chair beside her, letting my legs dangle off the side. I turn the TV on as there is no way I can fall asleep now. I put on Supergirl.

Every so often I would look over at Demi, to make sure she was okay. Little snores escaped her nose every so often. Demi was one of the first celebrities I took a liking to. I watched Disney Channel a lot growing up, so I had my fair share of favorite shows and celebrity crushes. They seemed to last very short. Except my admiration for Demi. Demi was my gay awakening, you know? She was the first woman who made me feel differently towards other women. Her laugh, her smile, the way she shook her hips onstage. It drove me insane. However, like all celerity crushes, the fuse burned out. I still love her, but I'm just not in love with her like 17 year old me was... right?  I check my phone. After 2:00 AM. My eyes start to become heavy and I relax into a deep sleep with Supergirl and Demi's little snores in the background.