prologue

Tine knew he was unlike most. In the small little town, where only humans lived and found hatred in beings other than their own, Tine found anything magical to be fascinating. It was to his parents dismay that their one and only son was so invested in learning more about the non-humans.

To them, it was a cruel fate to have a child that didn't understand the dangers that came with magical beings - or in their terms, the cursed beings.

To Tine, it was a blessing to be given a life once more in a world where magic and non-humans weren't simply through the screen or books but a reality. He wanted nothing more than to meet them and learn more about them, but his parents were far too protective and insisted on keeping him not only coped up in the small, human populated town, but in the walls of his own home.

If he were to go out, his parents would make sure one of them was present to stop him from bringing up anything "taboo." However, it came to Tine's knowledge that no matter how much they wanted him to be shielded away from the world until he shaped himself into their beliefs, that they could not stop him once university rolled around.

Because the town was so small, and so limited, his only option of continuing education was through attending the university in the city next to their town - a city that was heavily populated with magical beings. So his parents could not do anything other than watch him pack up and get ready to leave.

They were devastated they could no longer keep an eye on Tine, and worried Tine's strange fascination of non-human would only bring them more shame if he decides to go as far as to fall in love with one.

Even though their only son was not what they'd expect when they first brought him into the world, they did love him. So they held onto years of hope that someday he'd turn around and be more like them -like the townspeople.

But it was clear as the boy for older, he simply would not steer himself into the road of hatred like they had been raised. In a way, it taught them to change their own view on non-humans, yet their pride and fear of shame did not allow themselves to fully break down their prejudices; therefore, they could only pray their son would find a human lover so they don't lose the last of their resolve.