Chapter IX- Extraction

Start from the beginning

"SYSTEM ONLINE, DIRECTOR." FILSS reported. "AWAITING YOUR COMMAND."

"If I may, Director," The Counselor said, "I think it would be wise if we..."

"Shut up, Counselor." The Director interrupted.

"Of course, sir." The Counselor obeyed.

________________________________
Insurrection Tower

The team, as well as the Insurrectionists, saw multiple laser beams converge on the tower until they joined into one singular beam pointing at the device.

The ODST looked around and noticed that two of the intruders were missing.

"What the hell?!" He cried. "There were five of 'em here!"

Del and Carolina then decloaked and started picking the soldiers off one by one.

"What the fuck is going on? What did I say?! I said one thing!! Keep them in front of me!!"

"Hey man," York said with a sly smile. "Would you mind holding this for me for a sec?"

York then handed the transmitter to the ODST.

"Thank you." York said before backing away.
________________________________

A series of beeps came before a long beep sounded.

"TARGET LOCKED." FILSS reported.

"Fire!" The Director ordered.

"FIRING MAIN CANNON." FILSS obeyed.

A yellow beam of energy came shooting out of the Mother of Invention's main cannon.
________________________________

A yellow light tore through the air before everyone could see it was a laser beam.

"Oh, son of a..." The ODST tried to say before the laser beam tore through the building. All the windows shattered, and then nothing.

Del thought they were okay when the entire foundation of the building started to shake and crumble. Then cracks appeared in the roof.

479er was almost there, the Pelican was visible even when Del was regaining his composure. Tex sprinted for the ledge, took a Jetpack from the ODST, who, by some miracle, wasn't dead, then she kicked The Sarcophagus off the roof, and jumped.

The rest of the team ran for the ledge themselves.

"This must be karma for Del kicking Maine out the window." Carolina growled.

"I don't wanna do this!" York said as they jumped.

"Son of a BIIIIITCH!!!!" Wash yelled as the team dove through the air, dodging falling Insurrectionists, and debris from the building.

Carolina balanced herself on The Sarcophagus in order to line it up with 479er's open cargo hatch.

"Line it up!" 479er mumbled. "Come on! Come on! Stay on target!!"

Just as The Sarcophagus was about to fall into the hatch, an Insurrection Hornet came out of seemingly nowhere.

Jumping off The Sarcophagus to avoid the hail of bullets coming from the Hornet's turret, Carolina now flew through the air as Del balanced on the crate and shot at the window of the enemy aircraft.

It was less a killing blow as an intimidation move, when the pilot let go of the joystick and the aircraft landed into some of the falling debris from the skyscraper.

Tex, Wash and The Sarcophagus fell into the cargo hatch of 479er's Pelican.

"Hold on!" 479er said before she pulled the aircraft up and away from the scene, leaving York, Carolina and Del to fall.

"Get the package back to command, now!" Tex ordered.

"On it!" 479er replied.

"Well, there goes our ride!" York groaned.

"You think maybe we should've had a fallback plan?" Carolina asked.

"Hey," Del said. "What happened to Maine?"

Just then, Maine came tearing through the air, driving a Warthog that he easily caught the three freelancers on.

"Are we in a car?!" Del cried before the vehicle dove into a tunnel.

Outside, the entire Insurrection Tower then came crumbling to the ground.

"Command, this is 479er. The Sarcophagus is secure." 479er reported. "I repeat, The Sarcophagus is secure, we are inbound."

Tex took off her Jetpack to see that it was damaged.

"So," Wash said. "Jetpacks, huh?"

Tex didn't answer, tossed her damaged Jetpack on the crate, and ran out the hatch and jumped out.

"That was interesting." Wash said as the Pelican's hatch closed and made for The Mother of Invention.

_________________________________
A/N: Mission complete! The Sarcophagus is on its way to The Director. But, what about the team? Til the next one, everybody!