Chapter 2- M.I.A

Ladybug glided through the air using her magical yo-yo to grapple between buildings. Her eyes wide open scanning every road, path, and illuminated window in hopes of finding a clue or lead as to what happened to Adrien. Something that really annoyed Ladybug was the fact that no matter how many times she called, Chat Noir refused to answer. As a matter of fact, Ladybug hadn't seen or heard from him since that unfortunate night she slapped him. She understood how hurt he must of been (both emotionally and physically) but that wasn't Adrien's fault! Chat Noir could help search for him instead of pitying himself. 

"Aaagggghhhhh PICK UP ALREADY!" Ladybug screamed like a banshee claiming stake of her all since abandoned property. 

She sent him another text message and decided not to waist anymore time trying to contact him. Besides, how much help could he really be with his cat puns and pure ignorance. Well that's what Ladybug kept telling herself. Honestly tough, she missed him. Chat Noir, as foolish he might be, would always keep her positive, give her confidence in herself since day one. And she slapped him.  

On the plus side, Hawkmoth had been a lot less active recently. In the past week there have been no Akumatizations which appears very out of character for the dastardly butterfly miraculous wielding villain. In the meantime however, his absence of action allowed Ladybug to spend more time patrolling for Adrien. Moreover, it has given Chat Noir a chance to try and forgive his bugaboo for what she did (if that is even possible). She just hopped that if Hawkmoth were to make a miraculous comeback Chat Noir would arrive at the first sign of danger. For now though, Ladybug knew she had to focus her attention on Adrien. 

"I guess I should check the school again" Ladybug thought aloud to herself (temporarily forgetting she was there alone with no one to agree or disagree with her thoughts).

Elegantly, Ladybug landed on the path just outside the school. The concrete was cold like metal during the winter period. It was getting late and Paris had begun to succumb to the night and it's effects. She stood up from kneeling and looked around her familiar surroundings. Everything appeared normal, nothing out of place, nothing shouting out at her "Look! Look! an obvious clue to find the boy of your dreams!" 

Ladybug didn't know what she expected. It had been a whole week. Any evidence that might have been left since Adrien was here would likely have been moved, ruined, or simply thrown away.  With one final sigh, Ladybug fell backward onto the cream, concrete slabs which formed the stairs in front of the school. Some time passed and Ladybug was still no closer to discovering the truth behind Adrien's disappearance. 

"Tikki... spots off" Marinette mumbled. 

"Still no luck Marinette?" Tikki asked as she flew out of the earrings and returned to Marinette's side bag.

Marinette arose from the steps and began walking home. The appeal to keep swinging across Paris had since faded as that hope and promise began to revert to despair and blame. As she peered down at her feet taking one step forward, one after another, something caught her eye. In-between the cracks of the tiles on the pavement, a small red object stuck out. Marinette bent over and picked it up to begin studying the potential clue. Slight scuffs and scrapes had caused the black paint on the red plastic to chip off, but it was clear the object was some sort of ladybug. Attached to the charm itself was some thin, pink string which had been snapped (likely the reason it had been lost in the first place).

"Why do I recognise this from somewhere?" Marinette exclaimed- struggling to recall the correct memory from the endless bank of knowledge her mind stored within.

"Isn't that Alya's charm from her phone?" questioned Tikki. 

"Yes." Thought Marinette, slightly embarrassed she didn't recognise her best friend's phone charm.  "But Alya said she lost it during the last Akuma battle... on the other side of the city." 

Marinette didn't want to accuse Alya of anything- especially if it had nothing to do with Adrien's disappearance, but at this point Marinette was not willing to leave any stone unturned. Something in Alya's story didn't add up. If she lost her charm on the other side of the city why was it found outside the school?