Chapter 21 ― The Love of My Life

Start from the beginning

Hyejin turned around and saw Chaeyoung's lifeless body hanging onto Jungkook's shoulder. She shook her head in amusement and nodded to the stair case,

"Can you bring her to my room?"

Jungkook nodded and passed by her, making his way upstairs.

Hyejin closed the front door behind her and made her way to the living room. Following a long sigh, she threw herself down on the sofa.

A groan escaped her mouth when she felt the faint pain hitting her head. With her eyes closed, her hands patted the empty space in front of her until they finally took hold of the blanket.

As she leaned against the sofa's arm, she wrapped the blanket around her and brought her legs to her chest. Her eyes wandered around the room until they landed on the large floor-to-ceiling window.

It was almost the end of summer. The trees were still full and the sound of the wind hitting them with a certain force made her feel calm. She closed her eyes and let her mind wander. It's just her peaceful, drunk, moment. She enjoyed it.

"Hyejin?"

The girl hummed at the sound of Jungkook's voice, "In the living room"

Jungkook walked into the darkness and let the moon lighten his way. He looked down at Hyejin as he reached the sofa. His eyes softened.

He felt weak. Was it because of all the alcohol in his system? He wasn't sure. But one thing he did know was that he didn't care.

Jungkook walked to where Hyejin's legs were and sat down next to her.

"Did you have a good night?" He started off.

"A very good one" Hyejin grinned from ear-to-ear and extended her arms out to stretch herself, "Aren't you going home? Taetae said Soyeon's waiting for you"

His girlfriend's name felt wrong coming out of Hyejin's mouth. He felt uneasy and a sudden bump tickled his heart.

"I don't care" He admitted.

"Outch," Hyejin laughed, alcohol getting the best of her, "That's mean"

Jungkook rubbed the back of his head until he met her eyes again, "You know, I kept my words and told her."

"Told her what?"

Flashback

It was around two in the morning and Hyejin couldn't set her mind to sleep. She was only a few hours away from her departure for Melbourne and her anxiety rose up more and more.

Suddenly, she felt her phone vibrate under her pillow.

Hyejin lazily reached for her phone, thinking it was another one of her friends sending her messages, until the caller's name caught her off guard.

'Jeon Jungkook'

The voices inside her head started fighting. One wanted her to ignore him and let it pass after all the pain he caused her while the other told her to give him one last chance to speak. In the end, she won't be able to see him anyway so she opted for the second option.

"Hello?"

"Hyejin.." His voice was low and husky, "How have you been?"

"Good, thanks. Are you ok?"

It wasn't his usual self. Even though she didn't want to feel this way, the tone of his voice worried her. She grunted against herself mentally, tightening her grip on her phone.

"At what time is your flight?"

"Six"

Silence followed her word. She waited for a moment until it frustrated her, "If you don't have anything else to say, I'll go to sleep now. Bye—"

"—No, wait," Jungkook finally spoke again and she was listening.

"I'm sorry for everything.. I wanted to call you so badly during those past few months. I wanted to ask, no— beg for you to come back to me so we can enjoy your last moment here together, like the good old days—"

"So you can play with my feelings again? So it'll be hard for me to leave? So you can use me without any remorse since I'll have to leave after? Yeah. Sure." Hyejin cut him off. Hatred built up inside her. She found it way too easy to come and say those words only a few hours before she has to leave.

"I miss you so much, Hyejin.. So much it hurts." He continued, "Please, don't go.."

"This is too easy, Jungkook. I was depressed, I was down during those months I couldn't enjoy them and now you come back?" Her voice took an ironic turn.

"And I'll forever regret it." He stated and at this moment, she was about to give in.

However, those months also gave her time to grow. She grew stronger unwillingly and it was now time for this strength to be used.

"That's on you then." She confidently said, "This is none of my business. Not anymore."

"I love you"

"Jungkook.."

"Please, just this one time.. let it be like before.." His voice turned into a whisper. It was weak. It showed so much vulnerability.

Hyejin was known to be someone to think about others before herself. If it was the case for her friends, you can imagine how it'd be when it comes to Jungkook.

Her heart ached at the sound of his voice. She gulped. She tried so hard to fight it in her head.

"Please.." He muttered under his breath.

"I love you too, Jungkook. You know I do." She gave in.

"No matter who will come into my life, I'll tell them that."

"What?" She questioned and she could hear him sigh over the phone.

"I'll tell them that I won't love anyone as much as I loved you. That you're my first love. That you're the love of my life."  His voice shook, "I promise you."

"You don't have to."

"I know. But I mean it. I love you Kim Hyejin. I always did and always will. Please, take care of yourself in Australia."

End of the flashback

"That you are the love of my life."