iv. the brave

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄

     𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐃 with anxious eyes as metal clashed with metal once more, the abrasive sound echoing throughout the small arena before being promptly followed by an angered cry

𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐃 with anxious eyes as metal clashed with metal once more, the abrasive sound echoing throughout the small arena before being promptly followed by an angered cry. Serena flinched in her seat and gripped tightly to the apple she had long since forgotten about eating, her fingernails piercing the soft flesh of the fruit only making it more unappetizing.

"Oh gods, please be safe." She whispered, her eyes focused on the tall caramel skinned boy whose sword was poised, ready to attack. She watched as he swiped at the sweat collecting at his brow before sending a devilish smirk his opponent's way. The woman, a gruff looking warrior released another angered cry before spitting onto the floor and repositioning her weapon.

Serena whispered a soft prayer.

Lajfen raised his brow tauntingly but waited patiently, circling his opponent like prey, preparing for her to lose her temper and attack with another aggravated lunge. After the third circle the woman snarled and lept forward, Lajfen quickly blocked her jab before sending one of his own in return.

Using all of his momentum in his second strike, he tactfully threw his opponent off her balance before knocking her once more with a powerful thrust. The spectators watched in amusement as the large sword slipped from the woman's tight hold while a third strike with the hilt of Lajfen's sword simultaneously sent her toppling to the sandy turf below them. Her eyes widened in shock as she plummeted onto the hard floor and a loud grunt escaped her lips as she landed on her back.

Lajfen raised his sword into the air and released a joyous laugh. He had won the tournament.

Serena stood from her seat and joined the man's supporters in their rambunctious cheering, hollering his name and congratulations to the point where her voice felt raw from the celebration. Once the opponents had all shaken hands in a sign of respect, and the champion had been crowned, Serena collected the hem of her dress in her hands and hurriedly ran down the steps of the stands to the arena floor, a wide smile on her face.

"Oh well done Lajfen! Well done! Well done!" Serena engulfed the man into a tight hug, unaffected by the soaked patches of clothing from where his armor had once been. She giddily took in the sight of the weaved crown of laurel branches that had been placed on his head post-victory before kissing him on the cheek and offering him a large toothy smile. "You were absolutely brilliant out there!"

"Oh, I know you held your doubts." He teased. Serena blushed as she recalled the rather large boulder of a man that had challenged Lajfen in his first round. Although his appearance was frightening, he had proven to be as ferocious as a wallflower in combat, not holding a candle to the blazing fighter her friend had become.

"I don't understand what you mean. I never had any doubts you'd win." She responded with a coy smile.

"Is that so?" Lajfen said with a smirk before smothering the girl in a second hug. He pulled away and ruffled her milky white hair, earning himself a glare. "How about we go celebrate then?"