xvi. the suave [ ii ]

THE SUAVE
part two

     "WOULD YOU CARE FOR ANOTHER?" LOKI ASKED POLITELY

"WOULD YOU CARE FOR ANOTHER?" LOKI ASKED POLITELY. He took her rosy cheeks and growing smile as a silent yes, though patiently waited for her reply. He wouldn't lie and say he wasn't enjoying his evening, they hadn't talked very much besides a couple of awkward sentences here and there, but something about the timid little lamb of a girl made his heartbeat a few seconds quicker.

Perhaps it was the way she slowly peeked up at him from behind a thick curtain of black lashes as he asked the question that made his pulse accelerate or even the way he could tell she seemed to be weighing her options as her eyes then shifted from left to right, not seeming to focus on one solid object.

Loki took the last sip from his glass and then reasoned the most likely cause was his drink, and a flood of relief crashed down upon him.

"Yes, please." She finally replied, and then again, it could have been that, and anxiousness took over once more. The way she spoke was unlike any woman he'd encountered. She spoke in a lilting manner, delicate and easy to decipher while simultaneously mysterious and firm like a double-edged sword.

Loki smiled beside himself, grabbed the empty glass from her, and stood up, assuring her he wouldn't be too long, to which she nodded in response.

His plan was seemingly falling into place, leaving his mind jaded with greedy excitement. It wouldn't be long before he extracted the necessary information from the girl, and his cockiness overwhelmed him as he set the empty glasses down before the tavern maid.

Sigrún sent the man a nasty glare, "You are a snake, Odinson." She whispered venomously, her tone sharp like a viper's strike. Her brows narrowed menacingly as she watched the man's smile grow; her eyes then trailed off towards the girl who now sat alone, fidgeting in her chair slightly.

"You know a child like her should not be in a place like this. What evil joke have you got planned?"

"Now, why would you assume I have something planned?" He countered slyly and placed two gold coins on the countertop. Sigrún slid the money into her hand and pulled out two clean glasses from underneath the table, and quickly dusted them out with a cloth.

"She looks like a very kind girl." Once more, she turned her gaze back towards the girl, who now appeared somewhat nervous. Sigrún filled the glasses and pushed them towards the prince, "Perhaps once you are done using her for your gain, you could take her to a nicer place."

"You act as though you know my intentions." Loki bit back, not enjoying being called out by a woman who was not his mother.