Chapter Thirteen

Aeryn

“You wanted to see me?”  I walk into the small corner that is restricted to everyone who is not Aeryn. Aeryn’s hair is down and messy, making it evident that it is almost lights out.  The girl in front of me is literally dozing off, making me slightly annoyed. “Aeryn!”

She jumps in surprise.  Her hand goes through her hair, snagging in a few knots.  “Sorry, I’ve been on patrol way too much today.” Her back straightens and her gaze hardens.  “Since you seem strong enough, you will be the one of patrol this evening.” I just stand there frozen.  What did I do? Why do I have to suffer throughout the night when I don’t even know all the openings to the hideout?  “Don’t look at me like that, it isn’t fair that we are giving you special treatment as it is.” She gives me a piece of paper and smiles.  “That’s a map for all of the hideouts.”

I look at it and widen my eyes.  There are so many! My eyes trail back to Aeryn.  “How did you memorize where all of these are?”

She shrugs and evades my gaze.  “I have a good memory.”

“I severely doubt that.” I pause as the brunette in front of me glares.  If looks could kill, I would most likely be in millions of pieces. “But if it’s the truth, tell me to my face.”

She breathes out before looking at me straight in the eyes.  “Do I have to?”

I shrug and pocket the map that was given to me.  “Honestly, no you don’t. But unless you want me to be doubting your every move, I suggest you actually tell me.”

She scoffs and rolls her eyes.  “Do you think I honestly care? I could just as easily kick you out of this shit hole anytime I want.”

“But you won’t.” I smirk and sit down on the hard floor.  Cement is pretty uncomfortable, but at least it tells me that I’m in real life. I just stare at Aeryn, who is definitely cracking under my gaze.

She groans and rolls her eyes.  “You are so annoying, you know that?”

“I’ve been told.” I grin at my accomplishment.  

She runs her fingers through her hair nervously.  “I never woke up.” My head tilts at her comment, what does she mean exactly?  “Don’t look at me like that.”

I do not really respond, because how exactly can I?  When someone you have grown to know to know tells you something that is stranger than you could have ever imagined, it gets to the point where you do not know what to respond with.  Do I question what she means like a normal person? Do I stop her from talking by bombarding her with questions? Do I walk away, realizing that I don’t want to know this strange female’s past?

I think my best chance at not being murdered by her in my sleep is sitting down and listening to her story.  Where I do not judge what she is about to reveal. Where I act as if I can relate to what she is saying. Who knows?  Perhaps what she is about to say is relatable.  

However, that is extremely unlikely.

“Are you out of lala land yet?”

I look at Aeryn with my eyes widened.  It had not occurred to me that I could possibly be zoning out to a level where it was evident to a person I am slightly scared of.

She grumbles as she notices how shocked I am at her realizing that I was not listening to what she said.  “Like I was saying while you decided to zone out, even though you wanted to know this, I never was put into the system.”  Aeryn then proceeds to lean on the wall behind her and close her eyes. “I was an intern in this crappy building. One of the lucky few who was deemed ‘smart enough’ to gain access to the most influential research company in the states.” She quiets down and laughs at the statement.  “I did not know how much crap I would get in because of the internship though.”