Chapter Four

*Grades*

"Darn it!" Aira aggressively lays her forehead on her desk as she looks visibly distressed.  Her red hair is down and flowing gracefully on her desk, although it seems to be frizzing ever so.

I awkwardly put my hand on her shoulder for a second before tensing up.  A few breaths later, my breathing is semi back to normal. "Are you okay?" She is super dramatic, but she looks like something is seriously wrong.

She lifts a paper that I recognize as the latest chemistry test in front of my face.  "Look for yourself, I'm a failure. I'll be flunking out of high school at this pace!"

"Oh, I'm sure it's not that bad!" I grab the paper from her grasp and look at the score at the top of the page.  "Nevermind."

She looks up just a bit, her green eyes staring into my own.  Her said eyes begin to water, as my cruel joke finally sets in.  "I knew it! I'm never going to get to go to college!" Her head drops, making me cringe as I hear the impact of her head on wood.

"Hey, it's not that bad!" I say with a smile.  I put the paper on the table that her head currently rests upon.  "All you need to understand is the compounds, and the elements, and-"

"And my life is over!" She lifts her head again and rests it on her hand.  "It's so much easier for you to say! I'm going to bet you got a good score on the test."

I meekly look away from her.  "I got a ninety-eight. How I did, I don't even know.  I just chose random answers." I hand her paper back to her, to which she grabs it and sticks her tongue out.

"Yeah right!" She slips the paper in a purple folder.  "If you got an A-plus from choosing at random, you either are insanely lucky, or the teacher gave you a free grade."

I laugh at her statement before yawning.  I lay my head on her desk and sigh.

"Hey if you're going to die, do it out of my range of sight please."

"Oh wow, I feel so loved." I sarcastically reply to the female.  "I'm just tired, and the library chairs are full of people reading."

"Oh wow, imagine people in a library reading." I lift my head up and glare at the girl.  She stares at me and smiles. "Why are you so tired anyways?"

I sit up and run my hand through my hair.  "It's that one stupid dream again. It keeps popping up, no matter how hard I try to dream about something else."

"Well, I'm not a therapist." She looks at me, a worried expression clear on her face.  "But maybe you should accept it. Like, try not to wake up."

I smile at her before patting her head jokingly.  "Thanks. Do you want to go to Terra Topic today?"

She shakes her head, pouting.  "I need to study. I'm not like you at all.  Luck is not on my side I guess." She sadly looks at her hands.  "But if you want to go to the store by yourself later, go ahead.  I think they have some Splendid the musical merchandise."

I shake my head and open my chemistry book.  "We should both study, maybe we can help each other at least." 

The bell interrupts us both, making our bodies jump.  "Sorry, Cyrus!" She jumps up and grabs her homemade book bag and binder.  "We gotta get to math!"

I slide my chair out and stand up.   If I could, I would totally skip, but suspension is not something I want to accomplish actually.  My luck can only go so far in reality. I walk out of the classroom and roam the halls until I reach the familiar classroom.

I feel a shove on my back, making me immediately turn around.  There stands a familiar male with black hair. “What did you do to Aira?”  He growls and he glares at me. I internally want to sink in the ground because of how tall he is compared to me.  Why am I so short? It really isn’t fair.

I breathe out and lean on the wall near the door.  “What are you talking about Jace?”

He growls again and continues to growl.  “Aira stormed into that room all upset! She only hangs out with you, so what did you do her?”

I raise my hands up as if I’m surrendering, my eyes wide.  He isn’t a dangerous person, but he is sure scary. “Look, man, I didn’t do anything to her.  She got a bad grade on the last chemistry test.”

He continues to glare at me, his body tensing up at every word I utter.  “Do you expect me to believe that? She is always studying, how could she actually get a bad grade?”

I start to laugh, almost collapsing of the ground in a crazed state.  Through my laughs, I say quite a few words, “She never studies you idiot.  Where did you hear that? She was hanging out at the mall all day before the test, so of course, she would fail.  It’s honestly not my fault that she failed.”

Jace pushes me against the wall, making me wince at the slight pain.  “You don’t even deserve to be her friend! How is Aira even friends with a jackass like you?”

“Let me go.” I look at him, my expression not even readable.  My feet are above the ground, dangling since I am not some six-foot giant like Jace.  “You don’t want to get in trouble dude, trust me.”

He grips onto my shirt and glares at me.  “Does it look like I care? All I care about is making sure there isn’t some jerk bullying someone.”

I narrow my eyes at him.  “Aren’t you jumping the gun though? I have never bullied Aira before, and I never will.  Even so, aren’t you bullying me?”

I feel my back being pushed further into the wall.  “Shut up!”

“Mister Wright! Let go of him this instant!” We both turn our heads to see an unfamiliar teacher that I don’t know.  

Jace let’s go of me, making me fall to the ground.  He glares at me before walking off with the teacher.  

Maybe this world isn’t that perfect after all.  I don’t know what I was thinking.

Chapter Word Count: 1072
Official Book Word Count: 4299