19. The Explanation

Outside in the street, the Butcher was thanking his lucky stars. If he'd been a few minutes later he would have missed the whole show. As it was, he had just been coming around the corner to scope out Kayden Ewens' residence, when he'd seen the first steam carriage pull up and Ewens get out. He'd been on the verge of following when the second steam carriage arrived.

The Butcher watched from the corner as the man he thought was Ewens was accosted by Calvin and some female. And then Ewens' double came out of the house and he changed his mind. The man in the house must be the copy, and the one from the carriage the original from Earth. Still, it didn't matter really. What was one more to add to his list? As soon as he killed one of them, the other would be trapped here, another easy target in this primitive world.

What was more concerning, was seeing the detective, Calvin, obviously familiar with the Earthman. How much had he told the detective about him, the Butcher? Did Calvin know about his history? Was it possible he even had a description? Perhaps there was less time than he had thought to make his next kill.

It was clear that there were far too many people in the house to take any action now, but sooner or later, someone would have to come out.

~~~

Ash and Kai came out of the house together, and began to walk in the direction of Kai's lodgings.

"You realise how crazy this sounds?" said Ash, not for the first time. "Another dimension—another world—occupying the same space as ours?" He looked around as if expecting to see something strange pop out of the air.

Kai shrugged. "I don't really understand it either. I just know that both worlds exist."

"And you can travel between the worlds?"

"Well, some of us can. Those of us who have an exact match in each world."

"Like you and Kayden."

"Exactly," said Kai.

"So how do you do it? How do you travel from one world to the other?"

"There's a machine, a transporter which creates a kind of doorway or gate. I just step into it from one world and when I come out of it, I'm in the other."

"I never thought I'd say this, but the separated twin story is beginning to sound quite plausible, compared to the alternative!" exclaimed Ash with a wry smile.

Kai grinned, buoyed by the relief of finally telling Ash the truth.

"When we get to my apartment, I'll show you the transporter and give you a demonstration."

"Can you take me with you?" asked Ash, more than half serious. "Just to see for myself, I mean."

Kai shook his head. "Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Unless you have a double on Earth, you can't use the transporter." He thought for a moment. "Well, you can, but you don't come out the other side."

Ash swallowed.

~~~

Eventually they reached the building where Kai had his lodgings and he led Ash up three flights of stairs to the third storey.

Kai unlocked the door, quickly checking to see that no-one had disturbed the light dust he had laid on the floor before leaving. All good. He noticed Ash looking around at the tiny quarters and only just stopped himself from apologising. They couldn't all live in mansions, could they?

"Wait here and I'll bring the transporter out to you," said Kai, going into his bedroom.

He hauled the leather bag out from under the bed and carefully unwrapped the transporter.

"It doesn't look like much, does it?" he said, carrying it into the other room.

"Not for something so amazing," agreed Ash.

Kai was handling the transporter very carefully, making sure the lens part was not pointing anywhere near Ash.

"Now I'm going to show you how it works but you have to stand behind me. You can look over my shoulder. I'll warn you when I'm ready to turn it on, and then I want you to go and stand just inside the door of the bedroom. You'll still be able to see me, but there'll be no risk of you being caught up in the demonstration."

Obediently, Ash came and stood close behind him, looking over his shoulder. Kai could feel his warm breath on the back of his neck, smell the enticing faint aroma of male sweat and felt a rush of lust. He closed his eyes for a moment, enjoying the sensations.

Ash cleared his throat.

Kai made a huge effort to refocus on the task ahead. This was not the time or place for anything else... unfortunately.

Deftly, he pointed out the features of the transporter to Ash, hearing his murmurs of interest.

"Now I'm going to turn it on. There will be a bright light and I'll vanish. As soon as I disappear, I want you to shut the bedroom door and stay inside. I should be back in a minute or two, but it's really important you wait until you hear my voice before you open the door again."

Kai turned his head to look at Ash, seeking assurance that he understood.

"The room we use at the Janus Centre is shielded, but this one isn't. My return co-ordinates are set for this location, but I can't be sure which way I'll be facing when I come back. Better safe than sorry!"

Ash nodded, then burst out with, "This all sounds so strange! Like the wildest tale I've ever heard!"

Kai could see doubt starting to creep back into Ash's face.

"I'm deadly serious, Ash. Unless you swear to me you will follow my instructions to the letter, I'll put this device away right now and I won't bother about proving my story."

Ash nodded again. "All right. I really want to see this. I swear I'll do as you say." He turned on his heel and went into the bedroom as Kai had asked, taking up a position just inside the doorway.

Kai took a deep breath, checked over his shoulder once more to see that Ash was staying put, and pressed his finger to the button. Bright light shone from the front of the transporter and Kai stepped into it, ignoring the gasp of surprise from Ash.

Kai waited in the Janus Centre transport room for the count of ten, before activating the device again, praying that Ash had obeyed him.