the gate pt.1

"Y/n," Mike gasped as he walked over to me. "Mike," I croak as we hug each other tightly. "I never gave up on you. I called you every night. Every night for--" He started. "353 days. I heard," I sob. "Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?" He asked. "Because I wouldn't let her," Hopper cut in. "The hell is this? Where you been?" he scolded. "Where have you been?" I ask, wanting to save the father talk for later. Hopper wraps his arms around. "You've been hiding her. You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike screams, pushing Hopper. "Hey!" Hopper shouts, grabbing Mike by his collar. "Let's talk. Alone." Hopper seethed.

Mike's pov

"Protecting her! Protecting her?" I yell as Hopper walks me into a separate room. "Listen. Listen to me. The more people know about her, the more danger she's in. And the more danger you and your family are in--" Hopper began. "Oh, what? So I should be thanking you?" I shout. "I'm not asking you to thank me! I'm asking you to try to understand," Hopper added. "I don't! I don't understand!" I yell. "That's fine. That's fine! Just do not blame her! All right? She's upset enough as it is," Hopper pleads. "I don't blame her! I blame you! I blame you!" I scream. "That's okay, kid. That's okay," He scoffs. "No! Nothing about this is okay! Nothing about this is okay!" I scream, pushing Hopper. "Oh, jeez," he exclaims. "You're a stupid, disgusting, lying piece of shit!" I croak, punching him in the stomach repeatedly as he fell back into the wall. "Okay. All right! Stop it," he demands. "Liar! Liar! Liar!" I scream, continuing to punch him. "Stop it. It's okay," He exclaims, pulling me into a hug. "Liar. Liar," I cry. "You're okay, kid. You're okay," he reassures me. "I'm sorry, kid," he mumbled as I continue to cry.

your pov

"We missed you," Lucas exclaims. "I missed you, too," I smile. "We talked about you pretty much every day," Dustin adds. I look at Dustin. "Teeth," I blurt, touching his teeth. "What?" Dustin asks. "You have teeth," I repeat. "Oh. You like these pearls?" Dustin chuckles before making a noise. "y/n?" a girl calls. I look at her. "Hey. Um, I'm Max. I've heard a lot about you," She smiles, sticking her hand out. I walk past her and over to Joyce. "Hey. Hey, sweetheart. Hey," She sighs. "Can I see him ?" I ask. She takes me to him. "He's not doing well," she explains. "I know. I saw," I explain. "What else did you see?" she asks. I walk over to the paper that says "Close Gate," on it. "You opened this gate before, right?" She asks. "Yes, I helped," I reply. "Do you think if we go back there, that you could close it?" She questions.

"It's not like it was before. It's grown. A lot. And, I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs," Hopper begins. "Demo-dogs," Dustin corrects. "I'm sorry, what?" Hopper asked. "I said, uh, Demo-dogs. Like Demogorgon and dogs. You put them together, it sounds pretty badass--" Dustin starts. "How is this important right now?" Hopper quizzes. "It's not. I'm sorry," Dustin mumbles. "I can do it," I blurt. "You're not hearing me," Hopper continues. "I'm hearing you. I can do it," I explain. "Even if Y/n can, there's still another problem. If the brain dies, the body dies," Mike adds. "I thought that was the whole point?" Max asks. "It is, but if we're really right about this... I mean, if Y/n closes the gates and kills the mind flayer's army..." Mike starts. "Will's a part of that army," Lucas follows. "Closing the gate will kill him," Mike continues.

We walk into Will's room. "He likes it cold," Joyce whispers. "What?" Hopper asks. "It's what Will kept saying to me. He likes it cold. We keep giving it what it wants," Joyce explains. "If this is a virus, and Will's the host, then..." Nancy began. "Then we need to make the host uninhabitable," Jonathan finished. "So if he likes it cold..." Nancy continued. "We have to burn it out of him," Joyce explains. "We have to do it somewhere he doesn't know this time," Mike explains. "Yeah, somewhere far away," Dustin adds.

Mike and I stood outside. "Just be careful, all right? I can't lose you again," Mike croaked. "You won't lose me," I reassure him. "Do you promise?" He asks. "Promise," I smile. We began to lean in before Hopper called me. "Y/n... Come on, let's go. It's time," He explains. I turn back to Mike. "Okay," He nods.

Hopper and I get into his car. "So, what, we're just not gonna talk about it, huh?" Hopper blurts, making me look over at him. "About what?" I ask. "Oh, I don't know. I'm just curious, you know, I just want to know where you've been. Because you sure as hell haven't been home all this time. That's all," He explains. "To see Mama," I blurt. "Okay. How'd you get there? Wait, what?" He asks. "A truck," I reply, not wanting to tell him about the boxes yet. "A truck?" he questions. "A big truck," I add. "A big truck? Whose truck was it?" he quizzes. "A man's," I explain. "A man's?" he repeats. "A nice man," I add. "Okay. So let me just get this straight in my head. So a nice man in a big truck, he drove you to your Mama's, and then what?" he questions. "I... I shouldn't have left," I reply. "Mmm-mmm. No. No, this isn't on you, kid. I should've been there. I should never have lied to you about when you could leave. A lot of things I shouldn't have done. Sometimes I feel like I'm... Like I'm just some kind of black hole or something," he sighs. "Blackhole?" I ask. "Yeah, it's a... You know, it's this thing in outer space. It's like, it sucks everything towards it and destroys it. Y/n had a picture book about outer space. She loved it," Hopper explained. "Who's Y/n?" I ask, trying to see if he remembers me. "Y/n? Y/n's my girl. She's my little girl," He replies. "Where is she?" I question, going along with what he's saying. "Well, that's kind of the thing, kid. She, uh... She left us," Hopper explained. "Hopper," I whisper. "Yeah. The black hole. It got her. And somehow... I've just been scared, you know? I've just been scared that it would take you, too. I think that's why I get... so mad. I'm so sorry. For everything. I could be so... so..." Hopper began. "Hopper," I repeat louder. "Yeah?" Hopper asks. "When I was cleaning, I found a box. I opened it and saw my name and a picture of you and a little girl. I--I went into the Void to find her for you, and I saw... myself," I croak. Hopper looks at me, his eyes widen. "You're telling me..." He began. I nod. "Y/n? As in my little girl y/n?" He asked, his eyes starting to water. I nod. "How--How'd you get here?" He asked. "They took me. The bad men took me," I sob. Hopper bit down on his lip, "All this time I thought you were gone. I--" he cried. "They took you from me. They took my baby girl away from me," He sobbed. "I'm sorry," I cry as we pull up to the Lab. Hopper got out of the car, running over to my side. He opened the door, lifting me out of the seat as he wrapped his arms around me, crying onto my head. "You've got nothing to be sorry for," he sighed. Hopper pulls away from the hug, his eyes puffy. "We'll finish this conversation later," Hopper explains.

"You let me do the heavy lifting up front, all right? You save your strength till we're below. You okay?" Hopper sighs. I nod, Hopper takes my hand as we walk into the Lab together Hopper and I walk through the halls. We turn down a hallway, entering the stairwell. We walk down the stairs before we hear a noise, "Stay here," Hopper demands. He continued to walk down the stairs. I follow him anyways. "This is Y/n. Y/n, Doc Owens. Doc Owens, Y/n," Hopper introduced us. "She's been staying with me for about a year, and she's about to save our asses. Maybe when this is all said and done, maybe you could help her out, too, you know? Maybe you could help her lead, like, a normal life. One where she's not poked and prodded and... treated like some kind of lab rat, you know? I don't know, just a thought," Hopper suggested as he tightened his belt around Dr. Owen's leg. "But, uh... think about it. Don't go anywhere," Hopper panted before we resume the walk to the gate.

"Stay here," Hopper demanded as we heard noises. I watch as Hopper walks further down the hall.

time skip

Hopper and I see the entrance to the gate. "Chief, are you there? Chief, do you copy?" Jonathan spoke over the walky-talky. "Yeah, I copy," he replied. "Close it," Jonathan demands. Hopper and I look to each other and back at the gate. We mount the lift as we lower ourselves in the pit. I hold his hand as we go further down. I let go of his hand as I stick it in front of me, focusing my attention on the gate. I see the shadow monster on the other side. I close my eyes, remembering what El told me.

"I want you to find something from your past, something that angers you. Now channel it."

I remember the Lab and Papa, I remember the day they took me away from my parents. I reopen my eyes, beginning to feel the anger as the gate starts to close. The Demodogs started to surround us. "You have a wound, Y/n. A terrible wound. And it's festering. And it will grow. Spread. And eventually, it will kill you." I remember when Papa told me that. I stick my other hand out. I begin to float. I continue to yell as the gate closes. As the gate closed, I fall down. Hopper walked over to me, lifting me up. "You did good, sweetie. You did so good," Hopper cried as I sob into his shoulder.

a/n -    i cried so hard writing this-