"Yes, you mentioned Terezia," the woman said. "I am afraid she no longer lives here. My name is Nusa. Terezia is my daughter."

Her daughter. Corinna swallowed hard and fought to keep her face neutral, though thoughts were already beginning to swell in her brain. Knight shifted beside her, the noise reminding Corinna that Nusa could still assist them, but not in the way they were expecting. She dipped her head in the woman's direction politely. "Nusa," she said, internally groping for the story Knight presented to Adel in the kitchen. "Surely you have heard of my sister's recent pregnancy?"

Nusa nodded, though something in her gaze seemed to sharpen. "I have. I extend my congratulations."

Corinna let out a breath. "As it comes, it is my responsibility to dispel any untrue gossip. It has come to my attention that there was a peculiar rumor several years ago about my sister having an illegitimate child. I have reason to believe your daughter may have been the recipient of this child." Corinna twisted her hands together in her lap, clamping them so tightly together her fingers began to tingle.

Nusa was silent for a long moment, and she turned her attention to the empty fireplace, strumming her fingers against the armrest of the rocking chair with one hand. If Corinna knew no better, she would have pegged the woman as nervous. Movement to her right caught Corinna's attention and she felt her eyes widen as Knight leaned in close. She looked up, meeting his eyes with a question. His gaze, surprisingly, was eager. Corinna felt the brush of a smile touch her lips. Even if he had not wanted to come, it was clear he had caught onto something. Making sure Nusa was still facing the other direction, Corinna leaned towards him, this time mentally preparing herself before she felt the heat of his breath against her cheek.

"She knows something but she feels threatened," Knight muttered. "You need to make sure she feels comfortable confiding in us. Play the pity card."

Corinna nodded, her breathing shallow by the time he pulled away. She brushed the fluttery feeling aside. They could not afford to be side-tracked by Corinna's emotions; after all, this was her plan.

"I do not mean to sound forceful," Corinna said, her words spoken with a gentle rhythm. "It is just...when Elizabeth told me she was having a child, I wanted to be the one to assure her there would be no obstacles through the process. She is under enough stress as it is." The word screamed at her in her mind, standing out in large, bold type: manipulation. Corinna pressed her nails into the smooth skin of her palms. "If the rumor is true, it is my duty to her to keep an illegitimate child away from her legitimate family. Surely you would do the same for your daughter?"

Nusa turned back to face Corinna, eyes soft as she blinked away what looked to be tears. "In a heartbeat," she responded. "Your sister did indeed have an illegitimate child, whom she gave to my daughter Terezia to raise as her own."

Corinna did her best to turn her look of surprise into one of intrigue. "Where is your daughter now?"

Nusa let out a shuddering sigh as if the word itself caused physical pain. "Wallachia. My Zia is loyal to a fault and knew to take the child far away from where its true identity could be revealed. If I remember correctly, Elizabeth wanted none of her immediate family to know. Granted, she was dreadfully young at the time to make such a decision, but I wonder why having another child would give her reason to reveal the truth." Some of the color drained from Nusa's face. "Has she reason to lose trust in us?"

Corinna shook her head, though she could not help the sweeping sensation of betrayal that flooded her system. Why had Elizabeth kept such a large secret, and at such a young age? Did she think Corinna would tell? If she could keep this secret, how many more could there be?