When Caffrey smiled at me, I could tell it was not because he was suddenly in a good mood. "Good. Now we're getting somewhere."

While he continued to fill out some forms, it became nearly impossible for me to take the silence any longer. "Caffrey, with all due respect, can you please just tell me what the hell is going to happen to me? I'll accept any punishment you give me, I just ask that you let me see Lydia before it happens."

When I finished speaking, his hand stopped writing, but he didn't look up at me. It was several minutes before he finally met my stare. 

"Sean, I'm glad that you're able to acknowledge that what you did was wrong." Caffrey leaned forward and his face softened a little before he continued. "I like you and Lydia. I understand that you did what you did because her life was in danger. But there has to be some kind of reprimand."

"I  understand that," I replied with a steady tone. When I made these choices, I knew there would be consequences. It was just like the time when I punched James in the face. It may have been out of anger, and he may have deserved it, but I shouldn't have done it.

"It turns out I'm not the only one who tends to have a soft side for you and your wonderful girlfriend. The deputy director is also a big fan of yours." Caffrey held out a document to me.

I read the paper multiple times before I looked up at him with a shocked expression. "Are you serious? This is real?"

"It's real," Caffrey breathed. "It will be three months house arrest. You cannot leave your apartment under any circumstances. The deputy director said this will also be a good way to make sure you finish that alarm system he hired you to do."

I leaned forward and ran my hand through my hair. "I can't believe it. Three months house arrest? I thought I was going to be in jail."

Caffrey's expression turned very serious. "Sean, I know this is pretty lenient, but I want you to understand that this cannot happen again. Otherwise, you will be in a jail cell."

"I definitely understand," I sais honestly. "Besides, Lydia's father was a criminal. I don't want to do that to her."

Caffrey shook his head. "Sean, you are nothing like her father. You are the kind of guy that will do anything to save the person he loves. Never lose that." He laughed before he added, "Just keep it within the legal system."

I laughed along with him as relief poured through me. This could have been a lot worse. I really needed to get my shit together.

As if sensing my thoughts, Caffrey said, "If something happens, and you or Lydia are in trouble, call me."

I scoffed. "You going to hop on a plane everytime we need your help?" His shit-eating grin confused me. What was...then it dawned on me. "Are you moving here?"

He shrugged a shoulder. "Like I said, the deputy director isn't only a fan of you. He offered me a promotion and a job here in New York. It's also a good way for me to keep an eye on you."

Well, damn. That's pretty awesome. Even though Caffrey was going to be attaching a tracking anklet to me, I knew that we formed some kind of bond with all the shit that's happened. He saved Lydia's life in Portland. That was one of the scariest times of my life. I owed him everything.

"That's awesome. Congratulations, Caffrey."

He got up from the table and held the door open for me. "Now, let's get the hell out of here. Besides, Lydia has been blowing up my phone non-stop demanding that I let you go." He raised a brow as he followed me out of the room. "Please tell her that, unless she wants to join you on house arrest, to not threaten an FBI agent."

Even though he was serious, I couldn't help but laugh at that. Damn, I really loved her. It reminded me of her reaction the first time I was at risk of being thrown in jail.

"Do you remember that guy I punched? In Atlantic City?"

She seemed surprised by my question. "Yes. The asshole who said that horrible thing about your parents."

I rotated the marshmallow and didn't meet her gaze. "It appears he may press charges against me."

"What!" She yelled, just like I knew she would.

"Yeah. That's what the phone call was earlier at dinner. He's trying to charge me with assault."

"Wha- He- You...He can't do that! He deserved it!"

Finally meeting her stare, I said firmly, "Even if he did deserve it, I shouldn't have hit him. It doesn't make it right."

"So, what? You're going to go to jail now?"

I looked back to her and frowned. "Your marshmallow is burning."

Startled by my statement, she looked down at the marshmallow that was now charred and pulled it from the fire.

She set the poker down before looking back at me. "What are you going to do?"

I was honestly surprised by how angry she was. But, I knew she cared about me, just like I did her.

The ringing of Caffrey's cell phone pulled me back to reality. I started to get worried as his brows drew together. He barely said anything into the phone; but whoever was on the other end had a lot to say.

"Right," Caffrey said, "thank you." He hung up and looked at me. "There's been a situation at the hospital."

Without saying a word, I followed behind him. Was this ever going to stop?

 Was this ever going to stop?