A Battle Lost (Pt. 2)

"It's cold out here. Maybe you should come inside."

You don't turn around at the sound of Clint's voice, continuing to lean against the railing of the Avengers tower. You had been out here since Tony left three hours ago.

"I'm fine, Clint." Your voice is choked, having been crying just as long as you had been standing out here.

Clint approaches you, resting his own hand on the railing. Neither of you speak, both just looking out at the city. You sneak a peek at the archer, his brown hair whisking in the breeze. He looked like he was searching for the right words to say to comfort you, but every time his lips parted, he closed them again.

"I'm having a hard time figuring out what to say." Clint confesses, looking at you with a sad smile. "I can't say I've ever really been a large fan of you dating Tony."

You roll your eyes, unimpressed by the archer's father-like disapproval. "Maybe start by telling me something that I don't already know, Barton." You walk away, heading towards the suit track where you were hoping your boyfriend would land before running into your arms. But the longer you stared out at the sky, the less hope you had that Tony would even be making his way back home.

"You didn't let me finish," he mutters. You turn to face Clint who sighs in defeat. "I hate to say this, but I understand where the playboy is coming from." You don't respond, rather, your eyes just mirror your curiosity. "I think sometimes we all forget that, no matter what superhuman abilities we have or the suits we wear or even the amazing arching skills some of us possess," he smirks. "At the end of the day, we are still human."

"So what you're implying is?" You ask, the tears gathering at the corner of your eyes, afraid to hear Clint voice the truth even you couldn't help but admit to.

Clint looks from my eyes to the skyline. "We can't save everyone."

"And you don't have to." Your eyes shoot immediately to the sliding doors, Tony standing there with a jacket in his hand. Clint gives you a nod before excusing himself, leaving Tony and you alone on the balcony.

Tony sets his jacket down before taking small steps towards you. He reaches out to grab your hand, and though at first you hesitate, you give in and place your dainty hand into his callous one. Tony's thumb fiddles with your fingers, ignoring your gaze.

"Tony," you whisper. "I owe you an apology."

The playboy shakes his head, stopping you before you can finish explaining to him what you spent the last three hours contemplating over.

"You don't need to apologize, princess. It's me." Tony looks up at you, tears gathering in his chocolate eyes. Your own tears start pouring over seeing Tony like this, knowing your words caused him this pain. "I'm sorry that I treated you like the enemy when all you've done is be here for me. It was weak of me to just walk away from you, to say the things I did to you, to hurt you or any of our friends the way I did. I just-"

"Tony," you interrupt. "I'm the one that should be sorry."

Cupping the playboy's cheeks in your hands, you stare up at him through blurred vision. "Tony, the moment I said what I did I regretted it. I realized that I spent so much time treating your anxiety like another mission- something that could be treated with a strategic plan and consistency- but this isn't some villain I can kill off. And even worse than that," you confess, tears streaming down your cheeks, "I expected it to be easy. But Clint made something so clear to me that I always forget, because it makes me feel so weak."

Tony swipes the tears from your cheeks, tilting your chin to look at him. "You can tell me anything."

"We are just human at the end of the day. We hurt at the end of the day no matter what powers we have. We still deal with trauma, we still fight internal battles, we still deal with anxiety. We are just as vulnerable as the rest of the world," you sigh."But that doesn't make us any less worth fighting for."

Tony's eyes are hard, resting on yours. You can tell he is fighting back the tears that are threatening to escape. "I love you, (Name)."

Your lips meet Tony's sweetly. Resting your head against his forehead, you rest your hands around his waist, never wanting to let him go. "I love you too, Tony."

"But this anxiety. It's a battle I have to fight."

"We," you correct, replacing your lips lovingly against his.

Tony smiles against your kiss. "We."