1

Silver Point

Silver Point. I swore to never come back, yet here I am. My heart pounded against my chest while panic seemed to take all my thoughts with it. The lights of the town shined in the distance against the dark night. I was supposed to be there earlier but work kept me busy. That, and the growing dread in the pit of my stomach.

I took a steadying breath, Silver Point was a small town, picture-perfect, and words traveled faster than a speeding bullet. There was a slight chance that I would run into Layton Thomas.

Just the thought of his name sent my heart into a frenzy. Six years and that still wasn't enough to erase him from my mind. My head dropped onto the steering wheel and I sighed.

There was no point in delaying the inevitable any longer, so I stepped on the gas and my car lurched forward. The closer I got to Garcia's the more I panicked. It was our hotspot as teenagers, what if everyone was there? What if I had to face everything I had run from six years ago? The thought alone made me want to turn my car around and drive straight back to New York.

Megan Garcia, you are a grown-ass woman, pull yourself together.

No amount of steady breaths could calm my racing heart. I kept reminding myself that we were all adults now and had our own lives, but driving through town made me feel like I went back in time. Those buried feelings started to rear its ugly head.

Finally, Garcia's came into view, the blinking red lights were like a safety sign to me. I knew no one would mess with me in my family's restaurant.

When I stepped through the door, I was greeted by the smells of my childhood. Freshly roasted coffee and good food. It comforted me and eased some of the tension in my muscles.

My mom was behind the counter where she was talking to Mrs. Rhys.

"Tell Joseph to get better soon, okay?" Mrs. Rhys grabbed my mom's hand and gave it a hearty squeeze.