1

The monitor next to my beeped incessantly, the buzzing from the fluorescent light overhead mingled with its sound, like a swarm of angry honey bees

My chest felt like it was being ripped apart with barbed wire every time I took a breath. Courtesy of Cole for insulting him. His anger never made sense to me and yet I could always pick up on his ques. This time was different. I didn't expect the onslaught of his rage, nor did I expect him to push me down the stairs.

A nurse shuffled into my room, carrying a clipboard, before making her way to the monitors. She scribbled a few things down before placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Is there anything I can get you, Mrs. James? Are you feeling any pain?"

Today, I was Madalyn James. Or at least according to the fake ID stashed inside my overnight bag. I wanted to laugh in her face. The pain was a relative term these days. The physical pain I felt, was something I was used to.

It was the brutal ache in my heart and the growing hatred inside my chest, that I felt far worse. Cole Brenden had taken the last shred of my being and I had let him.

"No," I answered and the nurse dipped her head in sorrow before walking off.

My eyes pooled with tears and I placed a hand over my stomach. Once there was a baby growing there. The only part of me that I had ever wanted to live for, and he took that from me.

I failed and my baby paid the ultimate price.

"Oh, Charlotte. You shouldn't have made me angry. I never wanted to hurt you or our baby."

My head snapped up to the door where Cole loomed, casting a dark shadow over the floor. Fear gripped me in ice, a fear stronger than the pain. My broken ribs and shattered face were forgotten as Cole stepped into the room.

I wanted to scream, call the nurses, and tell them to remove this man. That he was the one who did this to me, but I couldn't.

He walked with a deadly calm to my bedside and sat down next to me on the bed. "Now you lost our baby." His hand cupped my cheek and I wanted to flinch away from his touch. "How could you lose our baby, Charlotte?"