Chapter 18 - Promises & Frustrations

Start from the beginning

"Hang on, mommy, I'll call them."

I thanked him, waiting impatiently for my two kids.

"Hey, mom." Eric's voice came through. My heart broke even more. Just hearing his voice made me think of Jake again. How can I lie to them about their dad? It's not fair.

"Mom? Are you there?" Lily was next to talk.

"Oh, yeah, hey Lil... How are you guys doing?" I snapped out of my thoughts.

"We're good, mom. Are you okay? You sound worried."

I smiled to myself. My kids knew me so well.

I felt my eyes water again, "Mmhm, I'm alright. I just needed to hear your voices. I miss you so much."

"We miss you, mom... But you're coming back soon, so it's fine." Lily told me.

Michael looked at me with most worried look on his face. I sighed, telling the kids that we have to hang up and that we'll talk to them tomorrow.

"Here." I handed my husband his phone back.

He smiled, "Are you sure you're okay, Angela?"

Nodding, I took the cup of coffee from the counter. "I'll go drink this now."

"Alright, I'll make breakfast. But you promise you're good?"

I gave him a small smile and kissed his cheek to let him know I was grateful for him being so worried.

"I promise."

~

Michael: We spent most of the day lounging since Angela still wasn't feeling that great.

Even though we haven't talked much today, I enjoyed just having her next to me. It didn't feel weird or awkward, to sit in silence like that, but it felt right.

"I think I'm gonna head to bed," Angela yawned loudly, putting down the book she was reading. "Goodnight."

"Hey, wait for me." I said as she climbed upstairs.

After we got ready for bed, I shut the lights off and got in next to her. Angela's back was turned to me like it was the night before.

I need to talk to her. I know we already did talk, but she's been acting so weird since she went shopping yesterday.

"Angela..." I whispered. "Can we talk?"

My wife barely turned to me, "About what, Mike?"

"You haven't really been yourself today... And I know we already talked about this, but I'm your husband. I get that I'm not the same Michael I was before, but I'm here. So please, talk to me."

Angela was now fully turned to face me. She grabbed both my cheeks and planted a big kiss on my forehead.

"I know you're here, and I love you so much for being so concerned," she said but her eyes were closed. "But there's nothing going on. Okay?"

"Look me in the eyes and promise me that nothing is wrong." I told her.

She opened her eyes. Tears were clearly wanting to spill out of them, but she held back. "I promise, Michael."

Quickly, Angela let go of my face. She sniffled a bit, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. Once again, she turned her back to me and it didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

But I was up all night, still unconvinced.

~

14th of August, 2008
Michael is 49, Angela is 44, Jake is 45