Chapter 44 - Italian Bliss

12th of September, 2009
Michael is 51, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Angela: Michael and I walked into Matteo's house. We landed in Naples around an hour ago, and it was already starting to get dark when we reached Sorrento.

I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes as I did, the smell of home cooked food hitting my nose.

How I missed Italy.

"Mom?" Prince's voice made me look his way. "Dad? Hey, guys, mom and dad are here!"

In a matter of seconds our nine kids, along with Grace, came in through the backyard. They attacked us in a big group hug.

"Oh, I missed you." I kissed Leo who begged for me to take him.

My parents joined us, and so did Matteo and his family.

"Angela?" dad called.

"Hi, dad. How are you?"

When he hugged me, he squeezed a little tighter than I was used to.

And once he let me go, I could see the worry in his eyes. "You lost weight. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm great, daddy." I lied, then turned to my children.

"Kids, why don't you wait for us in the backyard? We'll be there in a few."

They agreed, disappearing back outside. I gave Leo back to the nanny who followed everyone.

"Angela, bella, why are you so thin?" mom grabbed my arms and pinched my skin. "It's only been a couple months since we saw you, what's wrong? Michael, is she not eating?"

"Not really..." Michael told her.

I glared at him. He better not tell, we agreed to wait.

"Don't you dare." I mouthed.

He snickered quietly, saying he's going to the children.

As he passed me, I could still smell the four cups of coffee I made him have throughout this entire day to try and overcome his stupid hangover.

Of course he had to bitter about that too, since he never drank coffee. I refused to have him see my grandmother and uncle hungover, let alone the kids.

"What about the baby?" my mom asked sadly.

I tried to act shy because my dad was right there. "Oh, uh, turns out I wasn't actually pregnant... Just starting menopause."

So what if I lied a little? No need to worry them for now.

"That's my cue to leave," dad cleared his throat before coming to kiss my forehead. "It's good to see you, baby girl. I missed you."

"Me too, daddy."

Mom pulled me into Matteo's kitchen, "Come, bella, hai bisogno di mangiare (you need to eat)."

"Mamma, it's okay, I'm not hungry... Where's nonna?" I tried changing the subject when she sat me down at the table.

Ignoring what I said, she started looking through the pots and made me a plate.

"She'll be here soon. How was Switzerland?"

"Amazing. Very relaxing."

Which isn't a complete lie... If only Michael hadn't ruined it.

She placed a glass of water in front of me, then a plate full of Gnocchi alla Sorrentina, one of Matteo's famous dishes.

"Mamma, I can't eat all of this." I widened my eyes.