I fisted my hand and tried to keep my cool. What was he doing in her room? How else did he get to know what she smelled like?

Damn!

I was losing it again.

I leaned back, letting my head touch the ground, gazing at the zillion tiny sparkle dots in the sky.

"I don't know. Haven't seen her lately." Lying came natural to me. I'd done many for dad.

"Dad's coming this week."

Elliot sighed and nodded. "I was thinking to host a Halloween party at my place this time..."

"Good thinking. I wouldn't be able to host anyway, considering my dad's going to be here."

I added when he kept quiet. "I don't get him. Why would he have four homeless children in his house? I mean what's that he's getting? Money? Goodwill?--"

"Wait... what did you just say?"

I sat upright and patted the back of my head.

"You heard me," I pressed my hands together and waited for him.

"You don't know?"

"Don't know what?" I raised a brow, in anticipation. He was boiling my blood!

"They're not who you think they are!"

"Get to the point man!"

He smirked. "God! I can't believe--"

I punched him in the shoulder and he winced. "Just tell the fuck already!"

"Fine! They are not homeless kids. Apparently your and their dad are college friends. Their dad had been struggling to meet the ends meet for years. They had to move a lot. Like at least twice in a year." He glanced down at the water, "And a month or so ago he got a job in Texas. But, he didn't take them with him. Your dad suggested it would be fine if they could come and stay here for six months."

Did that mean she would leave after six months?

Where would she go?

Texas? My heart sunk in me and I swallowed the lump.

"That's why they are here. You really thought that was the case?"

Shame and guilt filled me. I should have asked her. I should have asked so many things before assuming.

The other night in the kitchen she told me her mom had died and her dad lost his sanity. So I just assumed she had lost him too over the years hence they ended up here.

Fuck me!

I was really an asshole.

"Well, I should go. And so should you."

I nodded and absentmindedly high-fived him, as he left.

***

I had been wrong about her. I had been wrong about so many things. But, I hadn't felt this alone in my life.

Jeanette refused to hear my apology and didn't reply to any of my calls or my texts for the entire week.

Cassandra refused to even glance at me when she walked past me or she just ran past me whenever we accidently came to a same place.

Elliot had been busy with his father's wedding lately.

Which left me and Jamey alone.

"Hey..." I said, chewing on my cereal. This was dinner.

He glanced at me and half smiled. "My sister says, we shouldn't talk while we eat."

I chuckled. "Well, she's not here and I won't tell her."