Temporary Home

I wake up and fumble around in the dark. I open my eyes when I realize I'm not in my bed. Yesterday's events come washing over me, and it is all I can do to not break down crying. I curl up into a ball under the plush purple comforter, and I realize where I am. I feel calming circles on my back, and after a couple minutes, I come out of my ball. I look up at my older sister, fresh tears still falling down my face. She brushes the hair out of my eyes.

We sit like this for a couple minutes before I slowly sit up. Katie smiles at me reassuringly, and I stand up. Katie stands up next to me and turns on the light. We're in her dorm room, and her roommate has long since left. I look at the alarm clock sitting on my sisters night stand and jump when it reads 11:42. I look over at my sister.

"Shouldn't you be at class?" she sighs.

"I couldn't leave you like that. You were pretty upset." A quick tear falls, but I turn to where Katie can't see.

"I can't stay here. It's against the rules. And mom and dad would freak if they found out." Katie sighs and sits down on her bed.

"I don't care about mom and dad. What they did was unforgivable. And you don't have anywhere else to stay. Makayla won't snitch on you. As long as no one else finds out, you'll be fine." I sigh and sit back down next to my sister.

"You know someone is gonna find out sooner or later. I don't want you getting into trouble." Katie lays her hand on my leg.

"I'll be fine, Cassy. Besides, where else would you go?" I shrug. "Exactly. Just stay here for now. At least until you get a way to support yourself and my future niece/nephew." I shudder as she says this. "Alright?" I sigh and nod. "Good. Alright now, I need to head to class. Don't leave the room, ok?" I nodd.

"Hey Katie?" she turns around and looks at me and I sigh. "I'm probably gonna have to drop out, aren't I?" Katie sighs.

"Considering we're over an hour away from home, and there is no high school within thirty miles, yea. Probably." I sigh and frown.

"Ok."