He fumbled for the keys that dangled on the wall just to his right. He took one look at me and another at Jennie and the next thing we know, he was fumbling with the lock on our cell.

"Hey officer, you're releasing us earlier than planned."

Jennie gave me a cutting glance. Oops, now's not the time to further aggravate her... but when was it a good time to aggravate her, really?

"Can you shut up for once?" Her words stung, honestly... "Officer, thank you but.."

"Look, don't ask questions. Go straight home and lock up."

"What? Why?"

"Didn't you hear the guy?" I answered back under my breath

He kept glancing at the entrance and I could see the cold sweat on his forehead. Oooh that rhymed, didn't it?

"Look I wasn't talking to you Mano-"

There were shouts and running...frantic running -- the kind that made you panic (even when you're only hearing it kind)... and gunshots? What the fuck?

"Shit." He almost drops the keys and tries again with shaky hands.

"Officer, please... what's going on?"

There was a huge crash, something like glass breaking and the door banging and growls... deep, guttural, animal-like growls.

I pulled Jennie away from the bars and held her. You know, basic human instincts... She clung to my neck and if we weren't as confused and scared as chickens who were about to be slaughtered I would have enjoyed it.

The police officer pulled his gun out and took a couple of steps back... he was uh... basically against the bars of the cell. He keeps pointing the gun towards something, that something is probably the thing growling... he shoots a round and it hits the something. I know, because it sounded like a dull thud. And dull thuds means something being hit. Don't question how I know, I just do.

I can't keep my eyes off of it, it happened in slow motion -- no shit, legit slow motion in front of me. He... or it... or whatever just lunged at the guy. Lunged! He was foaming in the mouth ... like someone who swallowed a pint of those ... uh... liquid things one uses for cleaning and it was all bubbling, he was covered in what seemed to be... dried blood? Or what I think was dried blood. And oh fuck... Oh god, no... I hugged Jennie and kept her from seeing this... monstrosity in front of us, but boy I know ... I know she was not one to back down from these kinds of things and so she swatted my hand away (imagine...) and instead bit into her lower lip to prevent herself from screeching. I literally thought I even peed a little.

Who wouldn't? You've probably seen a grizzly, equally disturbing, disgusting zombie flick, yeah? Well damn... ain't this the most traumatic shit you could ever experience first hand. The police officer put up a fight, with his bare hands, his gun slid over closer to the wall. I know, he's stupid for not running after it, but hey when someone as equally big as you flings themselves, rabidly trying to get a huge chunk of flesh off of you, you do what you can best. SURVIVE. The thing was stronger though and eventually bit into the police officer's chest. Now I don't know which was more unsettling the sound of muscle being ripped off or his blood curdling scream...

"Fuck! Fuck! What kind of shit is this?!"

Jennie held my hand and her other one covered my obviously loud mouth. She was shivering and looked incredibly scared, couldn't blame her. I was too...