038

Lurking in the shadows

Laugher echoes in the car as they make their way home, enjoying the song filled ride after a long day

Laugher echoes in the car as they make their way home, enjoying the song filled ride after a long day. An endless chorus of teases coming from the youngest boys as they arrive at their home and get down from the car.

"What should I make for dinner?" EunMin asks as they unload the bags from the car.

"Noona," Jungkook says handing her a bag, "I don't think you should be cooking after a long day."

"I agree!" Taehyung says with a firm nod. "Why don't we order take out instead?" He asks rummaging through the bags, lifting his head to look at the girl when she doesn't answer.

Instead, said girl has completely stopped, her brows furrowed as she slowly places the grocery bags on the floor.

"EunMin?" Namjoon calls out, following her gaze as she stares at the building, more specifically, their apartment window.

"Do you see it too?" EunMin asks and Namjoon nods his head as he stands by her side, jaw clenched as a million thoughts start racing through his head.

"What's going on?" Taehyung asks noticing the detectives' change in demeanor.

"Don't look." EunMin says in a calm tone, her eyes never leaving their target.

"There is someone inside the apartment." Namjoon adds and the boys tense. "Get back in the car and lock the doors." He instructs. "We'll go check it out."

"B-but..." The boys want to protest but know better than to do that, especially since their safety could be at risk, so both nervously watch as the detectives' form grow smaller and smaller in the distance.

"Follow my lead." Namjoon says motioning at EunMin who nods, and places her hand on her holster, swallowing hard as they enter the building.

Both detectives knew it was a matter of time before they found them, but they weren't expecting it to be so soon.

Taking in a deep breath, EunMin carefully follows Namjoon, their footsteps quiet as each stand by a side of the door.

Namjoon slowly grabs the handle, looking at her with a small nod and together they silently count to three, swiftly opening the door in one move, arms raised as they step into the apartment.

The detectives didn't know to expect when they arrived, but they definitely weren't expecting for their apartment to be empty, all the lights turned off, almost as if no one had been there.

Noticing the empty apartment, Namjoon quickly looks around and rushes out the door in hopes of catching whoever it was that had intruded their place, but there is no sign of him.