Sweetness

My body felt refreshed when I woke up. I suppose I hadn't really had any "proper release" since that first night with Jack, and I'd suffered through several teasing experiences since then. If nothing else was true, Victor certainly did seem to know his way around a woman's body. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

I looked over at Mr. Weston. He was still fast asleep. I guess he was just as drained from our "conversation" yesterday as I was. His sleeping face was peaceful, I had the strong urge to lean over and kiss him. I wished I could treat him gently, like a real lover, but I couldn't.

He wouldn't know me again today, so the last thing I wanted was to have him find me naked in his bed. It would take a lot of explaining. I got up and went to the closet to get some clothes, grabbing my old ones off the floor as I did so. Leave no trace.

I grimaced a bit thinking of how I was treating our relationship like a crime, but until my relationship was firmly cemented in the mind of all the personas it had to be this way.

As much as I worried about my own relationship I was just as worried about Thomas. I was almost certain the "good friend" he was referring to yesterday was his fiancée. What was such an emergency someone from town had to get him? I just hoped everything was alright.

As I exited the closet I saw Thomas poke his head in. I breathed a sigh of relief. If he was back it couldn't have been too bad. I waved my arms to signal him silently. He caught sight of me and nodded before heading back out. I did my best to close the door quietly as I followed. As I walked downstairs Thomas looked at me nervously.

"Is everything okay, Thomas?" I asked.

"I should be asking you that," he sighed. "Ms. Walton, please forgive my absence these past couple days. Especially last night. Of all the days I had to have an emergency it had to be when he was around."

I could easily guess the "he" he was referring to. Although I knew Thomas felt this way I couldn't help feeling a little defensive of Victor now. He really wasn't bad. I think he and Thomas more misunderstood each other than anything.

"Thomas, it's okay. Victor was actually very gentle and thoughtful toward me last night," I said. He looked at me, confused. "What I'm more concerned with is what happened to you last night? Is everything okay with your fiancée?"

Thomas seemed to snap back to reality at this. He cleared his throat and nodded his head firmly.

"Yes, thank you, Ms. Walton. It was nothing serious after all. Laura twisted her ankle buying groceries. She told her sister to send someone up to inform me," he said, shaking his head. "However, it seems like the story got a little lost in translation. I was told she was in serious condition at the hospital. You can imagine her surprise when I turned up frantic for a twisted ankle."

I couldn't help but giggle a little at the situation. Thomas smiled, he looked relieved. He had probably been worrying all night if Victor had driven me off somehow.

"I know you are a strong woman, Ms. Walton," he said, sighing, "but I couldn't help worrying Victor would try to force you into something. You were still in the room when I went to check. He didn't-"

"Thomas, I promise you Victor didn't force me to do anything."

It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth either. The truth was, I didn't know what Thomas would think of my "relationship" with Mr. Weston. Before, I was just worried about the job, but now? I worried about losing him. I had just come to terms with my feelings, the last thing I wanted was Thomas to send me away because he thought they were inappropriate or unprofessional.