Chapter 49

Chapter 49

-Fishing For Feelings

It’s been a rough night for Braylin.  He and Kara didn’t get a chance to see anymore of each other.  The doctor came back into his room and made everyone leave.  After checking his vitals and his arm again they gave him a sedative to calm him down.  He fell asleep and was woken early this morning by Conner and Det. Alderman.  He signed himself out of the hospital hoping he would have a chance to see Kara before he and Conner had to leave but it was not to be. 

The police kept her in seclusion she had to answer questions about Logan.  Braylin wasn’t happy about it but Det. Farrow told him to not make a fuss.  He promised to bring her to the location as soon as they were done.   

Braylin insisted they take his plane while he and Conner drive ahead to make sure everything was secure.  Conner could tell that he was still tired he told him to get in the back seat of his SUV and relax while he drove.  Braylin didn’t realize it would be so far and fell asleep.   

Stretching and yawning he opens the car door to get out.  Checking his watch they’ve been riding for four hours.  They appear to be at a lake front property.  Conner has already started walking ahead of him down a stone walkway to the front door of a beautiful rustic cabin.  Braylin follows Conner up the steps to the wrap around porch.  Two comfortable log chairs take up space next to each other and there’s a screen door. 

Braylin breathes in the fresh air and looks at all the massive tall trees around him.  There are a sprinkling of cabins around but none are close by.  He loves it that Conner brought him here he always loved going camping as a child and though the cabin looks like rustic meets contemporary it’s what he needs right now.  He doesn’t know how Kara will feel about it she told him she was a bit of a tomboy as a child but he doesn’t know if she likes the outdoors. 

Conner has already gone inside, he left the door open for Braylin.  He steps inside and looks all around him. 

“My god Conner, this place is magnificent.”  The space opens up into a wide area with a high beamed split logged ceiling.  The inside is definitely contemporary meets rustic with a utilitarian appeal to it.  Clean lines and natural materials sum up the décor.  Some of the pieces he sees in the room are made of reclaimed wood but maintain a modern appeal. 

There is a long comfortable leather sofa with a warm large throw over it that greets him as he walks down the foyer stairs into the sunken family room.  Across from it are two high backed chairs.  A large wood and glass coffee table sits in-between the pieces of furniture.  There’s a huge two story stone fireplace with book shelve on one side and a TV shelving Unit on the other. 

Braylin walks around looking into the open aired kitchen the living space leads you to.  The breakfast bar has a smooth cream marble surface.  The kitchen has stainless steel appliances that fit nicely among the rustic appeal of the wood cabinetry. 

Conner disappeared while Braylin looks around on the bottom floor but he’s returned. 

“Hey whenever you close your mouth I’ll show you the upstairs.”  He makes fun of Braylin looking around his place in amazement. 

“I’m….I’m….jealous.  This is Lake George right?”  Braylin ask him. 

“Yeah….very astute seeing how you snored in your sleep the whole drive up here.”  Conner smirks at him. 

“Don’t tell anybody but fighting with Logan, the guy was faster than I thought.  He almost kicked my ass in front of my girlfriend.  I had to pull it out of me from somewhere to whip his ass but I’m still exhausted.”  Braylin responds.