Chapter 12

Chapter 12 

-Mutual Needs 

It’s been almost two weeks since she’s come to Braylin’s home.  They have barely seen each other since the first night.  With not much else to do Kara gets up late and goes to bed early.  Braylin comes home usually after she’s asleep, he’s gone early in the mornings.  She suspects he’s continuing to live his bachelor life like he told her.  She tries not to look at the gossip pages in magazines or the internet she doesn’t want to see his face plastered all over them with another woman.  

She refused the nurse he offered her.  They argued over it.  It ended with him slamming out of the house and not returning home that night.  Her wounds are healing.  She struggled with dressing herself at first allowing Millie to assist her, now it’s gotten easier. 

Millie and Anzio have been a great help to her, she learned they worked for Braylin’s parents.  Most of Kara’s mornings start with joining Anzio in the kitchen helping him to get the day’s meals ready.  The amount of food they cook is usually a waste they never know if Braylin will be home for dinner he doesn’t tell her.  

She’s bored, she spends a lot of time on the internet, she’s ready to go back to work but doesn’t know how to tell Braylin.  Darla comes by to visit her keeping her updated on what’s going on at the restaurant.   Mica brings her the mail and any paperwork to complete, they do the payroll together.   Business is better, they’ve picked up more catering jobs but she’s not happy about the reason for it.  

Curiosity about her relationship with a sought after young billionaire is bringing in curious customers.  They picked up a huge catering order downtown at the conference center.    A few nights ago Mica and Casey came by so that she could help them put together the menu for the event.  Wanting to be involved in some way she had Casey come by early this morning to help her prepare some of the hor d’oeuvres they decided to serve.  Anzio pitched in and helped.  Just as Casey was packing up the food getting ready to leave Kara decides she wants to help out at the event.   

Millie helps her get dressed quickly in her basic black she always wears for work.  What’s left of her black eye is covered with makeup.  She stopped wearing the bandage on her arm a few days ago.  The only issue she has is what to do with her hair.  It’s longer now she parts it down the center curling it with a curling iron letting it fall in waves down her back. 

She’s nervous stepping out of the van at the conference center.  They meet Mica and Darla inside neither seems to be in a good mood.  Three of the people they hired to help out haven’t shown up. Kara fills in wherever she’s needed.  The function appears to be some type of awards banquet for wealthy people that have done a lot to help out in the local community.  

One of her servers is at the salad station preparing salads for the waiters to pick up.  A blond haired woman wearing a blue body hugging mini-dress approaches him making loud noises on the parquet flooring in her six inch silver stilettos.  She doesn’t like any of the ingredients in the salad she received including the type of lettuce.  Each time the server tries to speak she cuts him off. 

Kara sees and hears her raised voice, she hurries to the assistance of her upset server who is now terrified and speechless.     

“Excuse me, if you’ll give us the opportunity, we will prepare your salad the way you like.”  Kara interrupts the woman’s rant trying to keep her from drawing more attention their way. 

If they are unable to satisfy her it could affect future business.  She can tell the woman likes being the center of attention.  Kara checked the woman’s order she was given exactly what she asked for.