Chapter 3

Chapter 3

-Lightning Strikes 

Another four slices of bread are slid into the toaster, Kara pushes the handle down with force. How could she allow herself to be taken in by a pair of blue-grey eyes and a strong jawline? She's got to stop thinking about him but how can she.  She felt like the space around them disappeared and time didn’t exist in his presence.  

The feel of his hard body against hers when he pushed her up against the door still makes her shiver. She’s never gotten so lost in a kiss before.   She keeps visualizing the tilt of his head and dimpled half smile as he lowered it to nuzzle her nose and taste her waiting lips.  Maybe she seemed too eager for his kiss and scared him off after all she did meet him halfway.    

A puff of smoke fills the air followed by a burning smell just before bread pops up from the toaster breaking her out of her daydream.   She quickly grabs the burned hot toast to throw it in the trash before Darla notices she’s burned another loaf of bread. 

Darla already commented that her dazed look lately can only be because of a man.  She teases her about it every time Kara messes up an order.   Kara was going to burst if she didn’t tell someone about him.  Finally, she confided in her friend and restaurant hostess but left out the part about the kissing.  She was too embarrassed to admit she let a man whose last name she doesn’t know kiss her.  Darla keeps telling her she needs to ask some of their customers if they know him but Kara feels his line about them meeting again was just  that, a line of bull after he got what he wanted. 

She’s gotten another offer for the restaurant.  Liam and his mother keep calling her but she doesn’t return any of their calls.  Casey works for her now since the Sheffield’s fired him the day after she left.  

She heard from Aaron Hurst again, he apologized and asked for another meeting with her she reluctantly agreed.  He wanted to meet for lunch, she met him but took her attorney with her this time.  He seemed shocked that she brought someone else along.  He told her he tought they could just have a pleasant lunch to get to know one another and get ideas about what she was looking for in a new building.  He kept insisting his family wanted to do business with her.  He took her to another restaurant in one of their owned complexes.  He seemed disappointed that she wasn't impressed.

There lunch meeting was a week ago, Aaron told her he would be in touch with her some time this week. 

Mica walks into the dining area with the weekly schedule he wants to go over about who’s working today.  “Kara we don’t have a delivery person for today.  Kelvin can’t make it.  He’s got examines to get through.”  He informs her. 

“Ok, we’ll split the orders up.”   She decides and they get all the deliveries out on time.  Just before closing another order comes in.  They don’t want sandwiches they’ve request antipasto or any type of finger food. 

The order is for Hurst Incorporated and at first Kara is angry that they just assume she can whip up whatever they want on such short notice.  Determined not to fail she gathers Mica and Darla to pitch in.  She gets them to work on the antipasto platters while she prepares some special salads and appetizers.  

Casey and Darla go with her to deliver the order.  A well dressed woman named Amanda greets them when they arrive she escorts them to a set of elevators.  They get off the elevators on the thirty-eighth floor, they're directed to the end of the hallway to a mid-size conference room. 

“Will this do?”  Amanda looks at Kara with a smug smile knowing the room is more than adequate. 

“Sure, wherever you want us to set up.”  Kara responds not giving anything away.