She smiled, looking away. "I have to set an example for students of this school, Ms. Rhodes. That's how it works. It's my duty. Violence won't be tolerated in this school."

I didn't know why but I spoke, "I'll take his punishment."

She chuckled at that and leaned back, curiosity shining in her eyes. "And if I may ask, why would you do that?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to get my heart in control. Why? Okay, I can do this. Say something.

Because I didn't want him to hate me.

I looked down at my fidgeting hands.

"Do you paint?" Her random question almost threw me out of my chair. What?

I knitted my brows together and stared blankly at her as if she grew two heads. Linda was texting someone but even that got her attention.

I coughed, shaking my head. "No... but, I think I can click pictures. I mean photography."

Her smile grew, "Okay then, I may only give detention to Easton, if you'll join school's photography class." Did she seriously say that? I meant...wow. Even the principal could negotiate here.

I just stared at her. Searching for the catch that would be the deal breaker. Searching for something, anything that she was kidding.

She wasn't.

"Okay. I will."

I think she grinned but quickly schooled her expressions. She nodded and wrote me a slip to take a week off. "Ask your friends to catch you up with all the homework. Do not lag behind. No exceptions there."

I nodded.

It seemed she wanted to say something but I didn't know why she closed her mouth and didn't speak. She asked us to send Easton in the room and we stood to leave.

Easton was already at the door when Linda opened it. She escaped and I didn't know why but I got caught in his turquoise eyes, showing nothing but blankness-- completely devoid of any emotions.

His eyes went from Mrs. Holloway back to me. He leaned in to whisper, "I've never seen Mrs. Holloway smiling. Ever in all my school years." He leaned back, a smirk plastered on his lips. "My doubt about you is now confirmed."

I fidgeted with my hands and shifted from foot to foot. "Of what?"

He leaned to skip inside the door, hushing, "That you're a witch."

As I stepped out, he closed the door and I let a smile form on my face.

Did he just complimented me in Easton style?

I grinned, shaking my head and walked with wobbly legs over to where Linda was waiting for me. Guess, he did.

***

"Alden, I'm fine. You don't have to babysit me 24/7." I whined grabbing my History book and going through the assignment I was supposed to submit yesterday.

Everyone had been way too nice to me. Except Easton. I hadn't seen him since I saw him enter Mrs. Holloway's office. But I knew through Linda that he only got detention after school for a week. He'd been staying out till late a lot. So, we never had to cross paths because I was usually tucked in my room with Alden or Tabby or Linda babysitting me.

Jeanette had come after school to see me and told that everyone at school heard what happened and that Brianna was behind it.

I didn't care. She used her wealthy popularity to hurt me. Well, the saying that money can buy everything wasn't a waste.