chapter thirty-five

ALLISON TURNED HER HEAD ONCE SHE HEARD LEAVES CRUNCH FROM BESIDE HER. She was on watch tonight, wanting to make sure nothing else happened to this group. About three days ago, the Terminus people had come back and kidnap Bob, eating his leg. He came back and he revealed to everyone that he was bitten already, resulting in his death.

The woman was having a hard time staying up as her eyes closed slightly. She felt a slight tap on her shoulder and she instantly woke up.

"Go inside and sleep." Daryl's rough voice made it's way to her ears and she shook her head, her eyes now wide open as she looked ahead of her. He would never admit it, but ever since he found Allison again, he had been keeping a close eye on her, making sure she was completely safe with him.

"I'm not even tired." She tried to tell him, but failed as a yawn ripped it's way through her mouth.

"Bullshit. I could see you tryin' not to fall asleep from the window." Daryl told her, gripping her arm gently and she just ripped it away, looking to the ground.

"I-I can't sleep, Daryl." She admitted and that's when he sat down next to her, wanting to see what she says next. "I can't sleep when... my sister is out there. Probably suffering and there's nothing I could do. I can't sleep because I'm so worried that Sophia is gonna die from that damn wound on her leg. I can't sleep because everytime I close my eyes I see..." She hesitated on what she was about to say and Daryl raised his eyebrows, looking towards her.

"What?" He whispered, urging her to go on.

"I see you dying... in my arms and there's nothing I could do to save you." Allison confessed, now fully turning her head towards him with tears on her cheeks.

"Hey..." Daryl trailed off, setting his crossbow on the floor, all his attention on the woman in front of him. He placed his fingers under her chin and tilted her head up so he could see her better in the moonlight. Her eyes were a perfect blue as her face looked more clean than it usually does and her cheeks a slight pink tint, probably from crying. "I ain't leaving again." He assured her.

To be honest, he really didn't have a reason to leave. He had all he ever wanted here. He has people that actually care about him. People that love him. The man had never relied for anyone for protection, or relied for anyone to take care of him or make him feel as if he was loved. That all changed when he met this group. When he met her.

Even if the man tried to deny it, he knew, as did everyone else around him, that he would do anything for Allison because he loved her. He actually did. He's not sure he's ever felt that in his life before, or even wanted to. Him and Merle were always hanging out and the second he would be in a relationship, his father would scare the girls away.

But now he knows that he wanted to feel this. He needed to.

Allison sighed under his touch and although it was dark, she could see every single emotion held within his facial expressions. As she flickered her eyes to his, she saw something glimmer in them.

Daryl moved his hand that was on her face to her lap, where her hand was. He gripped it tightly and she moved closer to him, placing her other hand on his knee from beside her.

Before she could come any closer to the man, an engine was heard across from them, speeding passed as Daryl jumped up, recognizing the label on the windshield. "It's the people that took Beth!" He yelled and Allison didn't waste any time getting into the car that they had already had, Daryl following as she stepped on the gas, keeping an even distance between her and the car.

"Ally, slow down." He grunted as he held onto the bar on the top of the door.

She sighed and took her foot off the gas slowly, sheepishly apologizing to him.

It had passed thirty minutes of them following the people in the black car and they stopped in front of the hospital.

"A hospital?" Allison whispered to herself. As the person came out from the car, they were dressed in a police uniform, making the blonde scoff.

"Pull up a little farther." Daryl told her and she did, being about fifty feet away from them.

Allison's eyes widened once she saw a blonde walk out from the hospital with her arms behind her back. From miles away, she could easily tell that it was her sister. "It's her." She gasped and proceeded to open the door, but Daryl acted quickly as he grabbed her arm, stopping her from doing anything she may regret.

He placed his hand around her mouth as she started to breath heavily. Allison was about to mentally question as to why he did that, but stopped once she saw two walkers come from beside their car, looking like they were sniffing for fresh food.

Thankfully, the walkers went the other way and Daryl let go of her hesitantly as he moved his lips to her ear. "We can't get her right now. We'll all be killed within seconds. Think about what you're doing." He whispered to her, making goosebumps run down her spine as his breath tickled her ear.

Allison swallowed nervously as her stomach swirled. She moved away from him and he pushed her head down instantly. "Keep down." He stated quietly.

She noticed her hand was now on his upper thigh and her breath hitched, trying to get her hormones in control. Daryl was completely unfazed by this as he looked around frantically, trying to see if anyone was coming.

He let her go and she got up quickly, swallowing as she looked to her side, avoiding his eyes.

"C'mon, we can't stay here." Daryl told her, not noticing her odd behavior.

Boy, was this gonna be a fun road trip.