Eight

I don't know what to do. Ever since Olivia told me I still loved him, it's been really different for me. I've been acting differently around him, at least that's what Olivia keeps telling me. I see it too. I blush a lot more whenever he's close to me, I act all awkward and weird when we're alone, and whenever I look at him all I want to do is kiss him. When I had feelings for him before, all I did was push them away and start dating to forget about him. Maybe I should do that again. Maybe then, it'll be better.

     After all, why would he ever want to date me? I'm just some silly girl who is acting like a little kid about this. Maybe I could straight up tell him? No, he'd just think I'm weird. Well, weirder than he thinks I am already. I love our friendship and I don't want some stupid feelings destroying what we already have. I have to forget this. I have to let it go. I have to push it down and away. I have to get rid of these damn feelings.

     The only way I can do that is...dating...but I don't want to...

     I looked over at the phone sitting on my desk. It buzzed lightly with an incoming text. Ian maybe. I've been here all night, I told him I'd lock up when I was leaving. I pressed the button and turned it on. It's 3 in the morning. Rhett and Link are even gone. It's just me. Alone.

     Suddenly, a light flicked on. I hid under my desk which wasn't that effective since it was a glass desk. The door to the office opened and a person walked in. They stopped and started moving towards me.

      My mind kept racing. I'm gonna die here. This is it for me.

     "Court?" that voice. It's not a stranger. It's...

     "Oh, hi, Shayne," I sighed heavily and got out from under my desk. I grabbed my phone and slid my hands into my hoodie pockets.

     "What are you doing here so late?" he asked.

     "I could ask the same for you," I said, "Uh, I was just here working...on something"

     "At 3 am?"

     "Why are you here?"

     "I came to pick up my laptop. I left it here. I don't know why I decided to come in at this hour, but I'm glad I did," he placed down his laptop and put his hand on my shoulder, "Do you need a ride?"

     I slowly nodded my head. He guided me out of the office and into his car. He shut my door and opened the back door placing his laptop in a backpack.

     "Hey, Court? Are you tired? I've got a blanket back here if you want to use it," he held up a blanket with dogs on it. It did seem quite fuzzy.

     "Sure. Thanks"

     He opened my door and unfolded the blanket on me. He made sure it covered my whole body and tucked it under me. He was over top of me, I could feel the heat on my face from the redness.

     "There you go. How does that feel?" he asked, his hand on the top of the car door.

     "Warm and comfortable. Thank you," I said. I lifted my hood and covered my head, I pulled my sleeves over my hands and stuffed them in my pockets.

     "Good," he smiled and shut the door. He reappeared on the other side and got in. He started the car and we took off. It was awkwardly silent the whole time. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything.

     "You know, you really shouldn't be in the office that late doing work," he said still staring out onto the road. "I'm sure it would have been fine to work on tomorrow...or later today I guess"

     "I know"

     "What were you even working on anyway?"

     "I, uh, well I was working on...scripts for the next sketches. I had some ideas that I had to get on my computer"

     "At 3 am"

     "Yes, at 3 am"

     We sat in silence again until I dozed off. I woke up moving, but not in the car. I was in Shayne's arms and was still covered with the blanket. I grabbed his shirt with my hand and snuggled into his chest, he didn't seem to mind.

     "Hey, Court. Since you're awake, do you mind telling me how to get into your apartment?" he asked.

     "There's a, uh, key in under the mat in case I forget my other keys"

     He crouched down while still holding onto me and I grabbed the keys. I opened the door and he carried me inside and to my room. He placed me down on the bed and set my phone on the end table.

     "See you later, Court," he started to walk out of my room, but I sat up and grabbed his attention.

     "Oh, you probably want your blanket and your hoodie back," I started to take off the hoodie when Shayne spoke.

     "Nah, that's okay. You can keep both of those as long as you want to," he said, "I'm gonna get going. Bye"

     "Bye..."

    He stupidly waved to me as he closed the door behind him. I laid back down and heard him leave. I didn't want him to leave though, I wanted him to stay. I turned to my side and cried into the blanket.