Eleven

I didn't sleep last night. I couldn't. I was thinking about Shayne and his stupid new girlfriend. I could be the one in his arms, but she had to show up and ruin everything. Stupid bitch.
     Everytime I see her smooching on him, all I want to do is sock her in the jaw. She acts so cocky about it too. She always kisses on him and eyes me smiling like she knows how I feel and is rubbing in the fact that she has him and I don't.
     Ian, Olivia, and Damien have been trying to help me out as the only ones who know. They tell me that they probably won't last and that I would have been better for him. I love them like hell, but they couldn't be more wrong.
     Obviously this happened for a reason. I wasn't meant to be with Shayne, and this is just God's way of saying it.
     I was laying on the floor of the office feeling like shit when Damien and Olivia came over.
     "Hey. How are you doing?" Olivia crouched to me level smiling the smile of sympathy.
     "How would you feel if the guy you fell in love with found another woman?" I asked her.
     "Pretty shitty"
     "Bingo. You get to buy me dinner," I rolled over on my stomach and started hitting my head lightly on the hard floor until a hand stopped me.
     "Listen, I know it's hard seeing Shayne with you know who, but you've got to stop acting like this," Damien said, "Courtney, there are plenty of other guys and girls out there for you"
     I stood up and looked at him.
     "But they're not Shayne," I walked out of the office. They called my name, but I kept walking.
    I made it all the way back to my apartment and texted Ian and told him that I wasn't going to be at work for a little bit. He understood and didn't ask anything else.
     I opened instragram and found a picture of Shayne and Alex. She had her arm on his shoulder and they were smiling widely.
     "Stupid Bitch," I threw my phone on the couch like it was going to hurt her and slid down the door. I tilted my head back on the door and stared at the ceiling. My vision was blurred with the tears. I wiped my eyes with my arm and stood up and walked into the kitchen.
      I grabbed the handle of the fridge and saw a picture of the squad back when we were at Defy. Shayne and I were in the middle of Noah, Keith, and Olivia. He had his hand on my shoulder and I was smiling. I haven't done that in a few days. I kinda miss it.
     I hit my head on the fridge and stayed there, still holding onto the handle. Why did my life turn to shit? I fell in love with my best friend all over again and I couldn't want him more.
     Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I didn't move from my spot until the knock came again.
     "Olivia, I told you I don't want to-" I opened the door to find my neighbor standing there. "Oh, Mrs. Stevens. What are you doing here?"
     "I told you, you can just call me, Donna," she said, "I came to see if you had some flour. I need to- is something wrong, sweetie?"
     "No, why do you ask?" I just lied to an elderly woman.
     "You're makeup around your eyes is messed up and your hair looks just horrible. You also seem less enthusiastic, I haven't heard much of a peep from you in the past few days"
     "Oh"
     "Let me guess, boy trouble," she walked into my apartment and sat on the couch patting the spot next to her.
     "How...how did you know?" I sat next to her and she patted my leg.
     "I've been through a similar situation. My husband used to be one of those boys who always got away. What's his name?"
     "Uh, Shayne"
     "Shayne. Oh, is he that one muscular boy that is always screaming? He's a very nice boy, I see why you chose him. So, what's the trouble?"
     "Well, I've had feelings for him for a while now and I just now realized it. I mean, I'm like seriously in love with him, but he...found someone else"
     "I see. Well, it won't last," she stood up and smiled down at me.
     "What? Why not?"
     "Well, they don't have as much chemistry as you do with him. I've been your neighbor for 4 years now. I've seen the way you act around him. I've been in love so many times before that I know when someone has found it"
     "I don't mean to be rude, but I seriously disagree with that"
     "That's your call. I could just be a silly old lady," she walked to the door and opened it. "Don't let that girl take your future away from you. Who knows what could happen?" She winked and left leaving me on the couch alone.
      As long as she has Shayne, he's not my future.