𝐮𝐧𝐨

Maggie Montez stepped into the Vardy residence, immediately being greeted by her good friend, Rebekah.

Rebekah was the wife of Leicester City striker, Jamie Vardy. The family had grown close to the younger girl, taking her in as family through Maggie's difficult times and she couldn't be more grateful to the family who had done so much for her.

"Mags, it's been too long." Rebekah hugged her close friend tightly, almost cutting off Maggie's oxygen supply in the process.

"I know, we have some catching up to do." The two brunettes made their way through the exceptionally big house and into the kitchen where the older of the two friends made them each a cup of tea.

Rebekah sat down at the kitchen table, across from Maggie so that she could see her features as they spoke.

Rebekah admitted that she was slightly jealous of Maggie's looks. Despite being stunning herself, Maggie had beautiful and silky brunette hair that flowed down her back. She also had a slight tan thanks to her mum being born and bred in Mexico. Her eyes were a vibrant ocean blue, almost like the ocean near where her mother was born. Both girls were beautiful but one just so happened to be available.

"You're still single?" The married woman asked in a teasing tone, raising one eyebrow as she awaited her friend's response despite already knowing the answer.

"Bex," Maggie groaned out, putting her head down on the table. She knew that Rebekah was just trying to help her out but Maggie had no interest in pursuing her love life at the moment.

"I'm staying single. I've told you that before and I've told you why." The older brunette felt a bit bad for always bringing up Maggie's love life when she clearly didn't want to talk about it but Rebekah couldn't help it. She always wanted to help and this time, she wanted to help Maggie be happy, not that she needed a man to do that but she always thought that a boyfriend would not only make her happy but open her eyes to so much more of the world.

"But Maggie, there's a guy and he's absolutely perfect for you." Rebekah tried to plead with her friend but Maggie was having none of it as she had covered her ears with her hands and had started to sing over her friend.

"Maggie! He's one of Jamie's teammates and he needs a date to their player of the year awards." The younger brunette looked at her friend, a look of confusion crossing her face. Why was her friend telling her this? She didn't need to hear about his pathetic love life.

"I kind of promised that you would go with him-" Before Rebekah Vardy had a chance to finish that sentence, Maggie had scraped her chair across the floor as she stood up abruptly. She couldn't believe that her closest friend would do such a thing.

"Rebekah, you had no right. I trusted you with all that I told you. I do not need you to meddle in my love life when I have a perfectly good reason not to date." Maggie didn't shout. She had never been a shouter since shouting was something that she had feared ever since she was a little girl but she was mad and that was evident through her voice.

"You're right and I'm sorry but please, one date and if it's awful, I'll never try this again. You do kind of owe me a favour?" The last part of Rebekah's apology came out as more of a question, afraid for how her friend would react.

"Fine but one date and I can already tell you that it will be awful." Maggie was confident in that the 'date' would be awful. Why wouldn't it be when every other date she had been on was terrible? All the other guys had only wanted her for sex or were too self absorbed. Why would a footballer be any different from other normal guys?

After coming to some form of an agreement, the two friends decided to put on a Disney film and relax, waiting for Jamie to get home from training and waiting for a call from the grandparents to tell Rebekah that the kids wanted to go gone.

***
Fifteen minutes into the third disney film of the day, Maggie Montez was woken up by the loud bang of the front door and several male voices laughing and cheering in the hallway.

Maggie jumped and shivered in fear, still groggy from her impromptu nap, the young girl had a flashback from when she was just three years old.

Three year old Maggie Montez woke up from her slumber to the loud bang of the front door. It was still dark outside, her bedroom being pitch black.

She heard the unsteady footsteps of her father walking up the stairs. She quickly jumped back into her bed, shaking with fear and pretending to be asleep but just as she made it under her warm and comforting sheets, her bedroom door burst open.

"You should be asleep." Her father, her own flesh and blood, snarled at her.

"S-sorry daddy." He grunted a barely audible response before leaving his daughter and going to bed himself, allowing for Maggie to fall back asleep.

"Mags, it's just Jamie and the boys. It's okay." Rebekah rubbed the arm of the still shaking girl as the crowd of men walked into the living room.

"I'm just going to get a glass of water." She smiled at her friend, still shaking but not nearly as much as she was beforehand thanks to the reassuring and soft hands of Rebekah Vardy.

Making her way into the kitchen, she bumped into a hard chest, causing her to lose her balance and stumble back.

"Sorry about that." A deep voice spoke out, gripping Maggie's tanned arms to prevent her from falling onto the ground.

"It's okay." She gave him a small smile and as she lifted her gaze from the laminated floors to the face in front of her, she could make out the features of an attractive man.

He was brunette, his hair floppy from the training session that he had just had. He was tall with a muscular frame and his face was covered with stubble.

"I'm ben by the way. Did you come here for something?" His head cocked to the side just a little, waiting for the brunette girl to respond.

"I'm maggie and yeah, I just came for a glass of water." Ben moved to the cupboard where the glasses were kept, grabbing one before filling it up with water, handing the cold drink to the girl that he had just met.

"Thanks Ben." She smiled, not believing that a man other than Jamie had been nice to her but then again, she didn't know if he had any alterior motives.

"No problem, Maggie." He smiled as he walked away, being careful not to knock her over this time.

Maggie was left in the kitchen to think about the tall brunette boy and wonder why she felt different about him than every other guy that she had met.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

a/n: and here it is! the very first chapter of 'adore you'! i'm so excited to share this with you because i have been non-stop writing it for a week and i love it so much. maggie is quite easily my favourite character that i've written.

thank you to everyone who voted for the prologue, you're all amazing!

who's your favourite leicester city player?

enjoy and stay safe!

lots of love, e x

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*