||TWENTY-FIVE - THE TRUTH||

Tatum's POV

We're sitting in the Blue and Gold room, and Jughead has just gotten back from the sheriff's station, after seeing his dad.

"My dad's been lying to me his whole life, but he's never been very good at it." Jughead says. "I saw it in his eyes. He didn't do it."

"Well, then why lie?" I ask.

"Who is he protecting?" Betty adds.

"Okay. Who can we rule out?" Jughead asks.

"My dad. We know why he was acting so shady." Betty says, and takes his photo down. "Hermione."

"She's guilty of plenty, but not murder." I say, and Betty takes my mom's photo down. "Plus, she has an alibi. We were in New York."

"I guess that just leaves Hiram Lodge..." Jughead starts.

"And Clifford and Penelope Blossom." Betty finishes for him. Then, as we're all racking our brains, Alice Cooper comes in the room.

"Well, what do we have here?" She asks. "You guys just can't leave well enough alone, can you?"

"Mom, we know what you're going to say." Betty states.

"The police found another dead body." Alice replies. My eyes widen.

"Okay, maybe not that." I comment.

"A Southside Serpent." Alice continues. "And Sheriff Clueless is convinced he was working with your father, Jughead. He allegedly committed suicide by overdose, and there was a bag of money on-site that links him to Hiram Lodge. Everything is tied up into a neat little bow. Too tidy, if you ask me."

At that moment, Betty's phone starts to ring.

"Kevin?" She answers with. "Uh... okay. We'll meet you there."

-----

We trek through the forest, looking for the thing that Joaquin told Kevin about.

"Whatever it is we're looking for, Joaquin didn't know if it would help your dad, or make things worse." Kevin says.

"Well, I guess we're going to find out." Betty replies. "And why did he wait so long to tell us?"

"FP called him from jail. Told him to forget about their plan, some contingency plan. He said it was too dangerous." Kevin answers.

"Déjà vu." I say, as we reach the old Maple sign. This was the place where me and Betty found the getaway car.

"Hey, right here." Jughead says, as he spotted an old duffel bag. We moved branches, and Jughead picked it up.

Jughead then pulled out Jason's varsity jacket. 

The next thing we did was head to my dad's house, where Archie was, because we needed to show him.

"This is meant to help FP?" questions Archie. We're all staring at the jacket, which is rested on a chair.

"I don't know. Looks like more incriminating evidence to me." Kevin answers.

"Yeah. This just confirms that my dad torched the getaway car." Jughead says, sighing.

"And that his confession was true." Kevin adds.

"Why would FP say Jason's varsity jacket is dangerous?" Betty asks. "What could that mean?"

"I can ask my father." Veronica states, as she walked into the garage. "He would know, considering we found concrete proof that he hired the Serpents to kill Jason. That probably means that, your dad pulled the trigger, Jughead. I'm sorry."

We stood in silence for a moment, all just staring at the jacket, and occasionally flicking our eyes to Jughead.

"No." Betty says, breaking the silence. "No. No, I'm not giving up yet." She picks up the jacket, and turns to where Archie is standing next to her.

"Put this on." She demands, and positions the jacket on his shoulders

"What?" Archie ask, confused.

"Put it on." Betty repeats. She then helps Archie put it on, and goes around behind him.

"Betty. This is weird." Archie states. She ignores him, and stands behind him, her hands the jacket pockets.

"There's a hole, in the pocket." She states.

"Okay, now we're just grasping at straws." Kevin comments.

"I don't know about you guys, but whenever I have a hole in my jacket pocket, I always lose my chapstick in the lining." Betty argues,  as she continues to fumble around in the jacket.

"Yeah, same." I agreed, nodding my head.

"Or my Montblanc." Veronica added.

"Hold on." Betty says. She looks like she's found something. She edges whatever it is to the pocket, and pulls out a USB stick.

"What the hell?" Veronica questions.

"Nancy Drew strikes again." I say, awestruck.

We knew we had to see, or watch, whatever was on the USB stick. Hopefully, it would be something that would prove FP's innocence.

Jughead pulls out his laptop, which he happened to have on him. He put the laptop on the coffee table in front of the couch, and we all take seats in front of it.

We all sit so we can have a good view of it, and Betty puts the USB in.

It loaded a video, and Betty opened it up. We saw, Jason. He was tied to a chair, in a basement of some bar, as it looks like. There was a Southside Serpent in front of him, taunting the redheaded boy. 

"Oh, my god." Veronica breathes, as we watch none other than Clifford Blossom come into the basement room.

Clifford took out the engagement ring out his son's pocket, and placed it in his own. The engagement ring that Jason had given to Polly, and that Jason was safe-keeping for when they ran away.

We then watched as Clifford pulled out a gun. He pointed it to his son's forehead. And then, we watched him shoot his own son, point-blank in the forehead.

We all gasped. "Oh, my god." Veronica repeats, in between tears. Betty shuts the lid, and Veronica went forward crying. I put a comforting hand on Veronica's back.

I was crying too. Even though I didn't know Jason when he was alive, I still felt really terrible about what had happened to him.

We just watched his own father, kill him. Murder him.

 Betty pulled out her phone, stood up and dialled a number.

"Betty?" Jughead asks. She ignores.

"Betty, who are you calling?" I ask, and she ignores me as well. It must be something very important. And, by the sound of her voice, it was.

"You have to get out of that house. Listen to me." Betty says, into her phone. "We found visual proof of your dad shooting Jason, you have to get out of there now."