• e l e v e n •

Start from the beginning

I wondered what had made Bree say that. There was an obvious sadness lurking in his green eyes, I had seen it but he always hid it. If Bree had said that, he surely had his fair share of hard times. Maybe he was still hurting behind his tough exterior.

Could I really help him with whatever he was going through? I pushed that thought away. I was getting way ahead of myself. How was I supposed to help him with whatever that was going on if I couldn't help myself?

The next two classes stretched on without anyone to keep me company and soon it was lunchtime. As soon as I exited my class before Lunch, I found Rafael waiting with a grin on his face. He grabbed my hand and we made our way to the cafeteria. His hand was the perfect fit in mine. Cliche yet true. It gave me a sense of reassurance.

I knew it was wrong, but whenever Rafael was around, I forgot Aiden even existed. As we neared the cafeteria, I looked around to see if Aiden or Alec was around, but luckily they weren't. Bree joined us outside the doors and she smirked once she glanced at our intertwined hands.

I immediately let go of Rafael's hand. I didn't want to give him any false hope. We were just friends nothing more. Maybe I was overthinking but I couldn't help it. As soon as I let of his hand, Rafael noticed Bree and glared at her. "Aiden will be here" I muttered. "Pfft. Who's scared of him" Rafael scoffed and he stiffened. 'I am' I thought to myself.

"Come on guys, let's go. It's not like we're walking into Madison Square Garden. It's just a high school cafeteria" Bree tried to lighten the mood. I laughed and both of them looked my way again. "I do have a sense of humour" I rolled my eyes. "And an attitude" Rafael smirked. I smiled. I felt warmth surge through my entire body. I felt like I belonged with them. It was a foreign feeling to me and I hoped I came to terms with it soon.

Without a warning, Bree pushed the door open and Rafael nudged me forward. All three of us walked into the cafeteria. Just like a movie, people were staring and gawking. "We haven't killed someone, have we?" I muttered and Rafael chuckled. I looked at him.

His eyes twinkled when he genuinely laughed. He had a prominent dimple on his left cheek that could've made a girl go crazy. He had perfect teeth and his smile was the enough to capture anyone's attention. His lips crinkled at the sides and I couldn't help looking at them. Here we go again with the hormones. I quickly looked away before he noticed me staring at him. Unfortunately, Bree caught me gawking at her brother as if he was a specimen under my microscope. She smirked once again. I glared at her, but blushed once I looked away.

We got our lunch and made our way over to the table me and Bree had occupied yesterday. Bree sat down across me and Rafael sat down next to me. My eyes widened but I quickly went back to normal. I could feel someone glaring at me.

I looked up to see Aiden shooting daggers at Rafael and I. Summer was beside him and her hand was playing with his hair but he kept looking our way. I slumped down a little and Rafael noticed it. He looked at my line of sight and saw Aiden. He glared back and it was obvious Rafael was winning whatever staring contest they were having. I looked away, suddenly feeling a whole lot uncomfortable. I placed my hands under the table as they were shaking. Aiden looked away after some time but not before smirking at me. I knew I was in for it once we were home.

Rafael noticed my unease and placed his hand on my intertwined hands below the table. Bree was too busy eating to notice. I initially flinched as I was scared he might see my wrists. But I melted into his touch and immediately relaxed. "Don't worry about him Sweetheart" Rafael whispered just so the both of us could hear. I nodded my head slightly. He didn't know how scary Aiden could be. We ate our lunches in silence.