Chapter 2: Enemies

Start from the beginning

"In the back." I jerked my head in the direction of the storage room.

"Cool, thanks." She nodded. She turned around and yelled out to the owner. "Long time, no see, Sal!"

He came bursting out of the back and smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen on the man when he saw her. "Two days in a row, I'm the luckiest man alive."

"Just thought I'd pick up the stuff I'd usually get on the weekend. Miss Kathy and I are going clubbing Saturday night." She told him.

"You? Clubbing? I'm stunned." He snickered.

"Oh come on now, you know she always drags me along. I'm just going to make sure she doesn't get dragged off by some weirdo." She laughed.

"I know. You're a good kid." He waved her off as he waddled up to the cash. She quickly tossed a few more items into the basket before setting it on the counter for Sal to scan. Just before he finished ringing her up, she skipped to the produce spot before me, reached over from the opposite side of the aisle and grabbed two pomegranates. I stared at the girl in shock as she dropped them on the counter.

"Just to be safe, you can never have too many pomegranates in your fridge." She joked.

"You and those stupid pink fruits." He shook his head.

"I know! Why couldn't I be addicted to something normal, like cocaine?" She laughed. Before he could tell her the price, she pulled a wad of cash from her jacket and took a single hundred from the roll and handed it to Sal.

"You know the drill, keep the change." She nodded. He nodded back and she tucked the brown paper bag under her arm as she happily strutted out.

"Later corporates." She teased as the bell rang to signal her departure.

I turned and watched through the glass storefront as she made her way towards a ratty square of apartment complexes on the opposite end of the block. I was stunned. She was beautiful and witty and fierce. She embodied The Reaper even without the contract. "Christian, scratch that last order. I need all the information I can get on whoever the fuck that girl was."

~

I swiped down the wood top and poured another shot of whiskey for the old man at the far end of the bar.

"Rough day at work, Mr. Thompson?" I asked, watching him down the liquor like water. I poured him another shot as he tapped he glass rim.

"I hate kids." He sighed, downing the shot with ease. "Why did I think being a high school teacher was a good idea?"

"Answer: sick benefits and a killer pension." I joked. He snorted a single laugh and nodded slightly.

"You're not wrong there, kid. Those little shits and all their assignments about world war whatever are paying for my good old single malt." He laughed as I doubled him up.

"Damn right, I'll drink to that!" I cheersed him as I sipped my ice water. This was the first late shift I was working in weeks and loved getting to see the nightlife of Cincinnati's residents.

I looked over at the entrance as three men in suits walked in. I immediately straightened up and walked to the middle of the bar as they sat down. I recognized the two from Sal's the day before, the other giving me bodyguard vibes.

"What can I get you, corporates?" I smirked, tossing my rag to the side and leaning on the bar top.

"I'll have an Americano." The smallest of the three said, his voice low and slightly nervous.

"Okay. How about you, buster?" I turned to the bodyguard. He didn't speak, he just glanced at me before looking around the room slowly.

"Alrighty, anything for you Greek- God?" I asked the obvious leader of the group. He was unbelievably attractive and gave me a smirk as I waited for his answer.