Chapter 14

Feeding them all, plus Gon and Killua, and occasionally Kurapika and Leorio started becoming a trend in Hisoka's day. They were always asking him to make dinner and he didn't mind too much. He enjoyed the moments of silence, or gently bopping along to quiet music while making the dish.

Although, it did annoy him how much Chrollo continued to appear. Machi seemed to have no problem with him, she didn't even give him the rude remarks she gave Hisoka. Lucky man. Avoiding her taunts is a miracle.

"You don't normally get bright colours," Machi notes, looking at Hisoka's hands.

"Sorry, what? Oh, my nails?" Hisoka raises a hand, looking at his nails. He normally got a beige polish, but he decided to go with a maroon colour this time.

"You should take Illumi with you next time," she suggests, looking to where he and Chrollo are talking about fabrics. "He'd really enjoy that."

"You think?" Hisoka hums, eyes trained on Illumi.

"I know," Machi tuts, whisking away into the room she slept in and no one else was allowed to step foot in. Leaving Hisoka with Chrollo and Illumi who were almost too close.

"Hisoka," Illumi holds up two big rolls of fabric. "Which one?"

"What is it for?"

"Choose one," Illumi hisses.

"Blue," Hisoka watches as Illumi goes back to discussion with Chrollo. He sighs and moves onto his phone, sliding onto the couch, one leg resting on the top, the other over the edge and his head threatening to fall off the seat. It is that one comfortable position, the one you only pull off at home or with someone you know well. Scrolling through his social media that had many more followers than he really realized. Sometimes it dawned on him how big a following he really had, but rarely since he didn't go on much. Although, agents had started reaching out to him recently, both through school and his social media. He should probably start looking... Nah, they'll tell him what to do too much.

Machi plops dramatically on the couch beside him, making him lose grip on his phone and it falls onto his nose. He glares over at Machi as it falls with a thud to the ground.

"Your fault," Machi shrugs.

"Bitch."

"Slut."

"Asswipe."

"Dick."

"Whore."

"Sadist."

"Can't argue there."

Hisoka doubles over, falling off the couch as Machi plants a solid fist into his gut.

"Are you two done?" Illumi stands over Hisoka, looking down at him as he recovers from Machi. He closes his eyes instead, limbs awkwardly lying in every which direction after falling.

"I think she killed me," Hisoka groans. Another hard hit to his gut makes him jolt, looking up to see Illumi had dug his heel into the same place.

"I think you're okay," Illumi's eyes flash devilishly.

"Okay that's it," Hisoka clambers up and Illumi's eyes realize what he's doing and he runs. "Hey! I'm not done with you!" Hisoka chases after him.

They run around the living room, then the kitchen, and then into Illumi's room where Hisoka successfully tackles Illumi onto the bed. Illumi's playful gaze has Hisoka in a frenzy. Illumi squirms underneath him and smacks a pillow so hard into Hisoka's side the pillow bursts, feathers flying everywhere. Hisoka is frozen, completely stunned as feathers fly around them daintily.

Then Illumi's clear laughter chimes through the air.

Hisoka had never seen Illumi laugh. Or even smile that big. But the sound is music to Hisoka. Feathers fall around them, falling in Illumi's hair, their white colour standing out against his dark hair. One brushes his cheek as he giggles up at Hisoka, his laughter fading. Hisoka desperately wants to hear more. Don't stop laughing... Please. Illumi you're so beautiful, Hisoka's thoughts are so focused on the man below him.

"Hisoka," Illumi raises a hand to his cheek. "Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

Nothing could contain Hisoka as he kisses Illumi. But Illumi kisses back, placing a hand on his chest. Hisoka takes that as an invitation, placing one hand on Illumi's waist as he trails kisses down the other man's neck. Illumi suddenly pushes Hisoka off him and Hisoka frowns, looking at him, but he's looking at the door which is open a crack still from their previous chase.

Illumi looks back at Hisoka. "Sorry I ju-" he giggles again, the musical sound Hisoka would never tire of. "You've got a little something," Illumi reaches over and pulls a feather out of Hisoka's hair.

Hisoka places a lingering kiss on Illumi's forehead before leaving Illumi laying alone among the feathers.

Of course, it hurt Hisoka that Illumi would push him off like that. But he'd respect Illumi's wishes. Obviously, he was uncomfortable that the door was open, not that Chrollo or Machi should care what they do. Chrollo and Machi are on the couch when Hisoka walks back out, once again talking about fabrics.

"Why is there a sudden interest in fabric?" Hisoka leans on the back of the couch, looking at them.

"I want to do a painting using some," Chrollo explains. "I'm wondering what kind I should use."

Hisoka nods in response and glances back as he hears Illumi leave the room. He laughs lightly and walks over, picking feathers out of his hair.

"Your fault," Illumi hums, copying Machi's words from before, as though he wants to start their chase all over again.

"You hit me... Twice," Hisoka raises an eyebrow. "I think I deserve a break."

"No you don't," Killua's voice comes from the doorway. "But Gon thinks you do." In both boys arms are bags of take-out food. Dinner. Hisoka smiles widely, realizing Gon had thought to give him a break from cooking.

They set out the food on the table in front of the TV and put it on for background noise as they sit together, eating the Chinese food the boys had brought back. Hisoka goes to get a drink and when he comes back he smiles a little, looking over everyone sitting together. He leans on the doorframe, watching them.

Whether he liked it or not, they had become a little bit of a family. He kind of needed that... He never had a family... Gon had had his aunt, Illumi and Killua had an entire family back home, Machi being close to the Zoldycks got that too. Chrollo he wasn't sure. But Hisoka never had a family... He had the circus, full of performers who disliked him because he could too easily surpass him. And then he had the orphanage of kids who he practically raised, no one to look after him. But here, Gon bringing back the food, shows he has at least one person looking out for him.

Killua turns the TV to the music channel and glances at Hisoka. "Are you just gonna stand there?"

Hisoka shakes his head and pushes himself up off the wall. The song playing makes him smile a little and he does a horrible dab, making Gon and Killua cry out in protest.

"What? Would you rather me floss?"

"Oh please no," Gon whines. "You're so old, you're not allowed."

Hisoka chokes on his water. "Did you just call me old?"

"You're old," Killua adds and Hisoka holds a hand over his heart.

"You play cards and dance, you're old," Machi shrugs.

"Fuck you all too," Hisoka plops back down on the floor, smiling at the thought that he has finally found a family.