Chapter 8. Hacking

Start from the beginning

I stepped out the back patio door. Austin looked at me curiously. He offered the joint to me. I took it from him and hit it.

"It's so fucking hard to wait," I muttered.

"Yeah, I know. Let's hope that Benny finds something," Austin muttered.

Austin and I stayed silent for a long time as we stared out over the large backyard. The silence wasn't uncomfortable. The events we had encountered left both of us speechless.

"Maybe you should try to get some rest," Austin suggested.

"Are you insane? I'm not going to sleep. Not when we could be just hours from finding Ace," I said and snorted.

Austin chuckled and shrugged. "Just a thought."

After we finished the joint, we went back into the house.

"Anything?" I asked.

"I've got a couple of the cameras up if you want to come take a look," Benny said.

Austin and I stopped behind Benny and Joey. Benny did manage to get into a couple of cameras.
"I also got into their email. Now I'm trying to hack into Bohai Chen's phone," Benny said.

"You can do that?" Austin asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Benny said and nodded. "I'm not sure how secure the phone is, but I might be able to get something. I have to warn you, I may not be able to get much."

"Let me know," I told him. I grabbed a book and sat down on the couch with it. Austin plopped down beside me as I opened the book. I had to do something to keep me preoccupied.

After a few hours, my dad came out of his room. "How's it going?" Dad asked.

"Benny has been in every camera in the building. There is no sign of Ace," Joey explained.

"I've managed to get a few of his text messages, though. I'm tracing the phone number now. These texts are strange. It's about an assassination. Mine and Austin's heads snapped up. We stared at Benny in shock.

"Let me see those!" I huffed as I jumped off the couch. Austin followed behind me. We stood behind Benny, and he showed us the text messages.

Bohai Chen: Is she dead yet?

Unknown number: My attempts were failed. Don't worry, sir. I'll get her.

My jaw dropped in horror. Austin and I gave each other a look of disbelief. We both looked back at Benny.

"What?" Benny asked, confused.

"Hurry up, Benny. Find out where the fuck those texts are coming from," Austin demanded.

"Why? Is something wrong?" Benny looked at Austin and back to me.

"It might be about me," I murmured.

Benny stared at me in horror. "For real?" Benny asked, and I nodded. "Damn," Benny grunted. Benny spun around, and his fingers moved swiftly across the keys of the laptop.

All of us stood behind Benny as his fingers moved fast across the keyboard. He was trying to trace the number.

Benny sighed. "The number is untraceable. It must be a burner phone. However, I might be able to find out where it was bought. It's going to take me a while," Benny said. "I'm sorry. I wish I had better news." Benny threw his hands in the air in frustration and let them fall back onto the desk.

"Take a break, Benny. You're tired. You need a shower. We need to go back into Beijing for some supplies anyway," I explained.

Benny nodded in agreement and stood up.
"I can't even begin to tell you how bad I want to go sit outside. I haven't been outside for such a long time," Benny said and chuckled. He walked to the back door and let himself out.