Chapter 2. Disney World

Aria

The kids took off to get onto a ride. The fact that the kids still had any energy left at all surprised me. The sun sat low in the sky and didn't give off much light. The lights of the park started to turn on. Disney Land had been a good idea. There weren't a lot of people.

"I'm glad you came," I told Austin. "I truly am sorry for the mess with Kalia."

"As I said, it isn't your fault," Austin said.

We watched the kids as they get onto a ride and waved at us. We waved back at them.

"You keep saying that, but I don't believe it," I muttered. "I can't believe you didn't tell me sooner. All those times that I asked what her problem was, and you didn't tell me she thought you were cheating? And with me of all people." I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

Austin turned me to face him and forced me to look at him. "Like you said, Aria, you of all people. Kalia made a ridiculous accusation. There was no reason to tell you. You had your plate full. I wasn't about to throw more bullshit on you. If it were a problem, I'd tell you. Did you forget how brutally honest I am? I don't care whose feelings get hurt, remember?" Austin wiggled his eyebrows and chuckled.

I smiled and shook my head at him. "Whatever," I said. "I just can't help but feel like if I hadn't leaned on you so much, maybe you two would have worked things out."

"Honestly," Austin said. "I think it was for the better. I haven't felt so light in years. Kalia and I were too different." Austin pulled me into him and threw an arm over my shoulder.

My arm encircled his waist, and I pecked his cheek. "Thank you for helping me. Not that your ego needs to be rubbed, but you are the best brother-in-law in the world. It's too bad that lead turned out to be nothing," I muttered and sighed.

"My ego could use a little rubbing," Austin said and gave me a fake pout.

I snickered.

Austin grew more serious. "Don't worry about it. We'll keep looking," Austin promised. "Come on." Austin lead me in the direction of the kids.

***

By the end of the night, the kids were wiped out. We had a family suite. It had three bedrooms, a family room, and a kitchen. It had a beautiful patio, as well. Being here made me feel a lot better. The time with my kids helped, but it didn't help me sleep.

After I fell asleep that night, images of Ace flooded my head. It wasn't one of those dreams where I could stay asleep forever just to be with him. It was a horrible dream.

A gunshot echoed, and Ace came through the trees. At first sight, Ace looked fine, but suddenly he wasn't.

Ace coughed, and blood spilled out of his mouth. Blood dripped down Ace's chin.

My eyes widened in horror, and I dashed toward him. My feet were heavy as if I were running through sand.

Ace reached for me. "Bebita," Ace choked. His eyes widened, and his hand dropped from his abdomen.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

Blood seeped through Ace's shirt, and he slowly fell to his knees. Ace's arm still outstretched toward me.

"No, Ace!" I screamed. My feet moved, but no matter how hard I pushed myself to run faster, I couldn't reach him.

Ace fell face-first into the dirt.

"Ace!"

"Aria!" a deep voice pulled me from the dream. "Aria, wake up!" the voice coaxed.