2

Two days later, I walked into the club holding the very wrinkled flier . The loud beat of the music and the smell of sweat was something I had braced myself for but it still took me a while to adapt to.

'Come on, Cynthia. ' I told myself. 'You already wasted five hundred naira ticket money. '

I hated that I had to do this. That I had to be here and not because I wanted to have fun. But one stare at my account balance left me no choice but to consider my options.

One was going back home and admitting that I was a prodigal daughter who had finally came to her senses. The other was going ahead to make it work until I proved myself to my family.

So I decided that I was going to check the place out. Just to see if it was worth my time. And if it wasnt, I was just going to enjoy my night out. It had been a while since I went to places like this, anyway.

Taking in the decor, I was actually impressed. Whoever owned this knew what he wanted. And he obviously had some interior decor taste. Considering the location of this place, I was not expecting to walk into something this fancy. No wonder it was packed full with customers.

My roaming eyes located the bar before I approached it. With the each step I took, I reminded myself of the pros and cons of going through with this. The pros won.

"What would you like to have? " One of the three bar men attending to customers asked over the loud music.

I placed the flier in front of him. He regarded it for a moment then gestured to his colleague. After some moments of shared whispers he turned to me.

"Wait here. " He said and left.

I sat on a stool, placed my purse in front of me and brought out my phone to act busy. It turned out that I had eight missed calls. Six from my mother and two from my brother. They still weren't giving up on trying to reach me.

Perhaps it was high time I changed number. Everytime I saw their calls, It reminded me of what I was leaving behind for this new life of mine. And it was placing a seed of doubt in me which was totally the opposite of what I wanted to feel.

"I can't believe my eyes. If it isn't, Cynthia Adewale? "

I looked up at the call of my name and did nothing but swallow at the sight I met. It was the one and only James Abu. One of the most infuriating human being I have met in my whole life.

He leaned against the counter beside me with his gaze fixed on me. If it was any other man in the planet, I would find that a little less irritating than when James did it.

And it wasn't just because he wasn't on good terms with my brother, Lebron. Apparently, the once upon a time best friends, fought on a matter neither of them disclosed to anybody. But that wasn't my business at all.

It was something more than that. Maybe it was the fact that I had a very crazy and hard crush on him when we met for the first time and it still appalled me that I might still be attracted to him even though he wasn't one to keep. But like I said, maybe.

All I know is that ever since we met, we have never talked to each other politely. He always flirted, and I always pushed him off. It was like a role or something that we've kept going even over a decade now.

"Oh great. It's you again. " I muttered with a sigh, moving some locks of my braided hair behind my ear.

"I am happy to see you, little kitten. But why do I feel like the feeling isn't mutual?"

"Because, it isn't. "

He paused for a moment, his stare persistent. "Does your brother know you're here? "