Part 7

A pissed off Stone came storming into her office one late afternoon. "What the fuck is this?"he demanded, hotly,"How could you not tell me that you were resigning."

Unbothered Cherish glanced up from her computer. "Close the door."

Stone slammed the door shut and folded his arms awaiting an explanation. Cherish chewed her bottom lip uncomfortably. She had never seen Stone so angry before, not even when he'd lost a super duper important deal to a huge company just because of a tiny mistake made by one of his interns.

Cherish got up out of her chair and walked slowly towards him. "My mom died and she left the house to me," she began. The anger slowly melted off of his face. "I'm so sorry. I thought you were resigning because of us."

Yeah, that too, she thought.

"I just need a fresh start," Cherish admitted outloud. Stone laughed cynically. "You want a fresh start huh?"he mocked her. He shrugged his shoulders. "Alright, baby. I wish you the absolute best that life has to offer. And you have my number so I'm only one phone call a way."

Stunned Cherish just stared at him. This was not the reaction she was expecting from him. She knew she was being a coward, but Stone was awakening feelings in her that she wanted to remain buried. A part of her desperately wanted to sell her mom's place and set up a new life with her and Stone and the two girls right here; but she couldn't allow herself to fall victim to the same trap twice. Love was not for her. And she had accepted that long ago. How dumb would it be to experience the same mistake twice in one lifetime? She was a coward but no dummy.

Stone closed the distance between them. He tilted her head up. "I am going to miss you. I just really wish that you'd at least try before giving up on us. But I guess it is,what it is."
The tears threatened to escape, but Cherish held them at bay. "Yeah. Me,too," she whispered faintly.

**********

The days flew by quickly and Cherish saw less and less of Stone. She hated to admit it but deep down inside she felt hurt. How silly of her to think that he'd pursue her forever. She was kinda hoping that he would have though. But whatever. It low-key turned a tough decision that she needed to make into an easier one for her anyway. It also solidified the fact that all men were users and could not be trusted. She was so glad that she had choosen to follow her brain instead of her gullible heart.

She really wish that things could have been different between her and Stone. She knew he would have been overly ecstatic had she told him. But she didn't want to feel trapped and like she belonged to him. She didn't want to have a reason to stay and telling him the news would have resulted in exactly that. And a part of her really didn't want to stay. She wanted to leave so she could clear her head and make the best life possible for her and the girls'.

She had considered the second option. But three children and no man? Who was she kidding? Amoura and Belle were already a handful no way could she manage another one.

She wiped away a tear threatening to escape her tear ducts. She wasn't all the way heartless. She still felt dirty about what she had done and she had even resented herself because of it too, but she tried to console herself by telling herself that it was for the best. She didn't want Stone in her life.

Belle started crying and that broke her out of her thoughts. Internally she groaned. Belle had been crying a lot more lately. "I want it," Belle whined in her 2 year old voice. Cherish almost lost it in the airport when she saw Amoura snatch the doll from her sister's hands. She wished Amoura would stop provoking her sister. Through clenched teeth she said, "Can you stop that and give her back the doll?" For some reason Amoura chose to ignore her mother. She turned her back to her mom and started humming a tune. Boy, was this child asking for it.

"Amoura Prosser," Cherish started in the calmest voice she could muster up. But she was interrupted by a voice she would recognise anywhere- even if she were dead or in a coma.

She almost gave herself a whiplash the way how she spun around so fast. All of a sudden her mouth felt dry. Stone looked as hot and as gorgeous as ever. She quickly swallowed. "What are you doing here?"she asked rudely.

Stone laughed as if she had just said the funniest thing ever. "I came to see you off and to also beg you to stay." Why did he still care? Did that mean that he really did love her? Cherish shook the confusing thoughts out of her head. "You know I can't do that."

Stone ran a hand through his hair. "Listen,"he told her,"if you're worried about wasting your plane fair and ticket money I'll easily transfer those to you right now. Cherish begging you to stay." She didn't know what to say. Stone was doing that to her a lot lately.

She was so glad when she heard them announcing that her plane was ready to depart. Quickly, she grabbed up her suitcases and saw to it that Amoura had the girls' bag. She held Belle's hand and all but fled from Stone.

Easily, he blocked her path. "Stone,stop," she scolded," I don't want you and they'll never be an "us". Leave me alone." For a moment hurt shone bright in Stone's eyes then he quickly recovered. "You don't mean that," he said,"I know you feel the same way. I can feel it when we kiss." Cherish rolled her eyes. What?

"Look," she said sternly,"this isn't fairytale. There is no happily ever after for us. I suggest you stop wasting your time."

With that said she moved around him and hastily made her way over to security.

She knew he felt hurt, but rationalized that it was better if she hurt him than he her.

Only a dummy made the same mistakes twice, right?