Chapter 18. Of Gold and Spikes

Start from the beginning

Claire's mind was bugling around how screwed she was going to be if her brother didn't return. With great pang, gripping and releasing her heart at the same time.

Jordan's subconsciousness was browsing around the orphanage, looking for how mad The Mistress would be, and how her bulgy eyes would haunt him forever. His muscular chest grew outwards as a heavy oppression overcame him again.

Alfred was surprisingly growing calmer, suppressing the potent full of possible danger in his mind. His bold gaze focused on Clifford's busy body, as if his staring was boosting Clifford's strength and speed. There were thousands of confident prayers running through his mind as he watched.

39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34, 33

"You can do this Cliff!" Claire yelled encouragingly, in a sheepish manner. Oh God, please!

"Come on man. I believe in you." Jordan added. Slightly on his toes.

Right hand down, Left hand right, Right hand left—

Clifford shuffled and slid those flat golden plates. Its temperature rose and drop momentarily, which made him yank his hands when they're hot, and rub them when it's cold. The image has now gotten complex, he paused for a second and began to re-adjust.

He hustled all the way in a reverse. His sister and friend's hopeful faces burned right through him. His sweats increased, and his hands began to tense like crazy.

18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13,

"Come on Cliff. Come on!" They chorused and chanted.

They couldn't control themselves, they jumped and yelped. How strongly they wished to help, but the red square Clifford was standing on had projected bright red bars of flames. It surrounded him, telling them; he doesn't get out, and no one gets closer, until something happens.

He hustled and hustled. His hands running very fast on the golden gate, his feet tapping forward and backwards. His eyes rolling in all directions. His breathing shakier than ever before. His stomach, twisting and turning. Indistinct chatters clouding his brain and his heart thudding hard against his rib cage.

5, 4, 3, 2

And the ticking stopped.

They all froze as they watched the image materialize and the red bars around Clifford die down.

Clifford was still holding his ground as they all eyed the motionless gate, thinking if he had solved the puzzle or not. Then all of a sudden, the huge twin doors then began to vibrate and Clifford stepped backwards. He jumped into the small crowd, and they all hugged. Partly because his few minutes in that tight and unreachable spot made them miss him, and because it seemed to them that he'd actually solved the puzzle.

"I think we did it." Clifford announced shakily, looking at the astonishing image he had just formed.

Before them was a golden insignia of an Egyptian god's eye.

To be precise, it was the great eye of Horus. It stared at them, and they all looked at it in awe and utter confusion.

"Yes! I'm the boss, applesauce!" He pointed aggressively at the image, a wide grin on his face.

"You da boss man... you da boss." Jordan agreed, excited like the rest of them.

"Take that... you... you piece of doll eye..." Claire stuttered but pulled her brother into a hug. "That was amazing!" She commented, watching her brother beam with smiles before her.

"Well, I guess you're not so helpless anymore." She said with a smirk on her face, as she gazed into his eyes. "Little brother," she added.

"Ha! Glad you see that now..." Clifford retorted, and then freed himself from her grasp. "We'll just have to work on the little brother part, yeah?"

Light chuckles broke out from the small crowd.

"Sooo... what really happens at zero?" Jordan surprisingly inquired.

They all stared at him, amazed that he still had to ask again.

"What? I wanna know."

They looked around, to behold no form of traps or weapons at all. Everywhere was still lit by the gleams from the eye image.

"Holy shit!" Jordan's mouth went wide.

"What?"

"Up there," Jordan pointed.

They looked up to see huge iron spikes hung way over their heads. It began to shake, like it was about to rain iron and blood.

"Come on, let's get out of here." Clifford hushed and led every one to the golden gate.

He pushed the iris of the eye and the huge door majestically opened. They rushed in blindly with increasing speed, leaving the long iron bars to pierce the grounds. Heavy thuds and clatters banged and ringed behind the doors.

For a moment there, relief washed over them as they had crossed over, and they were safe from death.

Death one.

*****
Author note.
How was the first game guys!?
Tense right? :)
Hit that little star right there of this chapter got ya! ;)
Thanks! :)