25 - On the Run

I sat up on my bed, shielding my eyes to protect them from the dazzling sun rays. With a disgusted grunt, I tore my Bridge off and threw it back in its case. Arms before me to avoid bumping into furniture, I swayed to the door and called, "Amy!"

I stumbled downstairs and found her in the kitchen.

Whistling a jolly tune, she switched off the gas stove, and slid a steaming banh chew from the pan to the dish, alongside other crepes. "Hey. I was about to look for you. I expanded my research to other countries and--"

"I know, I know." I sat down on a chair and muttered, "Ames, there's something I have to tell you."

She removed her apron with an exaggerated sigh. "Oh, geez. Whose cadaver do we have to hide?"

When I didn't react to her joke, she deadpanned, "Should I put back my apron to avoid blood splatters as we chop up the body?"

"Yikes. No, there's no corpse."

"Good. I don't think there's acid in the garage." On that last quip, she took a seat, and waited for me to spill the beans.

When I turned the crepes down, she tsk-tsked me. "Girl, whatever you're gonna divulge, we'll face the consequences better with a full stomach."

I nodded and shared the banh chew between us, recounting everything as we lunched. My digressions and Darcy's weird reactions. The growing attraction and my annoyance at his arrogant self. Schrödinger's cat and the Belvedere. Theo and Victoria.

As I detailed our narrow escape from the Batcave, I took a spoonful of crepe garniture and encountered a particularly big piece of red chili pepper.

"So, is a zombie army on its way to here, and if yes, do we have time for dessert?" Amy inquired, pouring me a glass of milk.

"I don't get it," I replied after rinsing my mouth and gargling.

"Victoria didn't succeed in trapping your minds in the virtual world. Nevertheless, she needs to handle the threat you represent. I'm pretty certain she can locate you by piecing together the game data.

"I don't think she would come for you herself, though. She'd send one of her minions to capture you or render you inoffensive. Even so, she'd have to be discreet, if her plan is not to control the whole population but to keep it in check using a little group of vigilantes."

I strode to the front window and inspected our alley, relieved as I found it quiet and deserted. However, Amy's remark had instilled fear into my heart. We weren't safe here. "Pack your things. We'll join the parents at Aunt Rachana's, just in case."

"Great. I'll take my baseball bat."

"Ames, these zombies are real people. They didn't ask to be involved."

She glowered at me. "Okay, I'll aim for non-lethal points, but I cannot guarantee I won't roundhouse kick someone should the occasion arise."

At the mention of martial arts, my thoughts turned back to Theo. "What if Theo didn't log off in time? Or what if he did, but a controlled Bridge user attacked him?"

"Can't you message him or something?"

"We never felt the need to exchange phone numbers. Our virtual meetings were enough."

She joined me at the window and wrapped me in her arms. "Damn, girl. These secret encounters sound better than sexting."

"What? We never... No. We only kissed. Once."

"Do you know where he lives?"

No. But I knew where he liked to hang out.

A dizzying hope tightened my chest. "I think there's a way to contact him, but it's risky."