She looked back at me again and this time, I took a minute to study her features. And as she looked at me, I was instantly taken aback at how familiar she looked—the hair, the eyes, and even the smile.

With dirty blonde hair coming down to her hips in light, graceful waves and her red lips stretched into a heartwarming smile, she could pass as one of the most gorgeous females on the planet. Her blue eyes shone brightly, crinkling in the corners slightly.

And I hated how something in me ached at the sight of her.

Slowly, I nodded at her and turned around as quickly as possible before making my way down the streets and far away from that woman. Because the last thing I needed right now was a reminder of the past.

Even though everything that happened today made it seem like the past was going to be haunting me wherever I went, no matter what.

***

"Hudson?"

I spun around quickly, my eyes widening as they met with a pair of dark ones. My heart began pounding furiously as the calm expression in his face hardened into a scowl and he quickly looked away, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Tobias." I choked out. His jaw clenched and I watched carefully as he undid his apron before hanging it on the hook.

"What can I get you?" He turned to me, placing a strained smile on his lips. The muscles on his arms tightened and his hands clenched the counter as he slipped behind it. My heart ached at the sight but I pushed that feeling down before straightening myself.

The truth was, I didn't really expect him to be on his shift as I made my way to the café. Hell, he was the last person I had expected to meet tonight but now that I was standing right in front of him, I couldn't help the part of my heart that cried out to me to clear things up between us.

"I-uh-no." I shook my head, fiddling with the rings on my fingers as I looked up at him. He raised his eyebrows at me, a disinterested look on his face. "I didn't come here for that."

He let out an annoyed sigh at that and pushed back from the counter but just as he was about to turn around to walk into the back of the kitchen, I took a deep breath and called out to him.

"What?" He snapped and I couldn't help but flinch. Even though I knew he noticed that action, the hard glare on his face never wavered. I was so glad that the entire café was empty, as it was time to close up and by the looks of it, Tobias was the only waiter there.

"Can we talk?" I pleaded just as he walked out from behind the counter and scoffed loudly. I followed behind him as he walked over to the fireplace and grabbed a poker, nudging the remains rather harshly.

"I didn't mean for this to happen." I spoke when he made no effort of kicking me out of the café right then. "Any of it. And I'm so sorry-"

"You know I had feelings for you, right?" He turned around harshly and I was taken aback by the darkness in his eyes. Slowly, I nodded.

"You knew." He repeated, nodding dangerously. "And you also knew you didn't like me back."

It wasn't a question and I closed my eyes tightly, because looking at his expression pained me to no end. I nodded.