|| Chapter Thirty-Nine - Resemblance||

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Abby."

Parker swore softly under his breath and turned his back to the door, crossing his arms in front of him and squaring his shoulders. Meghan pushed me into the room and slammed the door behind her. She then did exactly the same thing as Parker, from what I could see through the window.

Them turning their backs to me - even though I knew they had to, it still made me feel bad inside. I clutched at the hems of my jacket and bit my lip, turning around to examine the room.

It was homely enough despite being underground and made of concrete. It felt oddly familiar, the colours, the way the furniture was positioned... the furniture itself was exactly the same as-

I gasped, covering my open mouth with a shaking hand.

Exactly the same design as my old bedroom. When we dated, this is exactly what my room looked like, down to the photo frame with my dad's photo in it on the "windowsill" he'd had mounted on the wall, with a window-sized photo of my old view.

The flimsy wooden bed I'd insisted on my dad buying me purely for the fact that I can connect my "princess canopy" to the top of it was situated under the windowsill. The canopy was made of lilac tulle with small pieces of glitter spread throughout and it hung around the head of the bed. I don't know why, but it felt like a shield for the top half of my body that was exposed to monsters. Immediate protection.

My mouth quivered as I took in all the other details of my old room, the room that my mom and dad worked together to get ready for me, painted the walls with intimate-precision, made sure everything they DIY'd was made to measure and wouldn't take up too much room.

My cheeks became wet, I brushed them away with my hands and took a deep breath.

"Throwback, right?" I jumped at the sound of Isaac's voice and let out a small shriek. In my own little world, I hadn't heard the door opening behind me.

"It's... It's a striking resemblance." I forced a laugh. Isaac seemed impressed with my reaction and beamed, pacing the room and pointing everything out.

He reached the bed and looked up to me slowly, "I think your bed is the only place we couldn't make a memory, am I wrong?" I should be creeped out, I should be panicking, but I wasn't. He didn't look at me with the venom of a man about to take advantage of someone, he looked at me with a lovelorn expression.

It struck me. He wasn't a good guy to me or anyone, but he was unwaveringly loyal. When I lost my dad, Isaac and his family were there for me and my mother - Isaac was my friend before he was anything else, it was good then. It was when I became something more to him that the primitive patriarchal instincts kicked in. He didn't want to lose me, but in his eyes, he couldn't afford to love me - openly anyway. That's not what his father did. That's not what he will do.

"You aren't wrong. However, I would much rather focus on what we did experience together." I wracked my brain and dug deep to reach any of the repressed memories of our short-lived time as a couple I had still hanging in there.

I walked over to the wardrobe that had the exact same wonky door hanging off it, "Like the time I-" I laughed, genuinely, to myself, "the time I was showing you my winter formal dress, remember the bl-"

Isaac interjected, "The blue dress with the white snowflakes that you'd sewn on yourself. You were very, very proud of that dress." he smiled sadly to himself. The very same night, he'd gotten angry with me for hugging one of my male friend's goodbye and had pushed me into the car in so much of a hurry that the material snagged on the side of the car door and completely tore an irreparable hole in the silk fabric.

He remembers that too.

"Yeah-" I proceeded quickly, "-and I did a spin for you, tripped on my own two feet and went flying into the wooden doorframe. That was the most impressive black eye I've had and the best repair job I've ever undertaken." I played with the door, swinging it from side to side.

I noticed something out of the corner of my eye, hanging up in the wardrobe. My mouth fell open when I looked closer.

"My-my winter formal dress."

Hey guys,

First of all, thank you for the birthday messages!

Secondly, I had intentions of updating sooner, but unfortunately, something happened that prevented me from being able to do so. I won't go into detail, but I am totally up and running again now!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I am thoroughly enjoying playing with Isaac's character now!

©️//®️