|| Chapter Four - Unexpected ||

"If you scream, you're dead." He whispered, bringing his lips to my ear, his hot breath fanned my neck and raised goosebumps. I froze as the man slowly approached the shelves.

I shut my eyes and waited. Devon still has his hand around my mouth, the other slowly curling around my waist. If this wasn't a life or death situation, I'd probably find it very intimate.

There was a shuffling sound as some hushed voices appeared, "Ash... what are you doing?" I opened my eyes reluctantly and watched the scene unfold before me. There were four other people, one woman along with three men, not including the one stalking me earlier.

Devon removed his hand from my mouth and scooted in beside me, I didn't dare turn my head, I was too afraid of making any noise. The man who was stalking me - Ash? Ashley? Asher? - spoke.

"A girl ran in here. She saw the tattoo!" He whined, throwing his hands up and stomping around. Devon shook his head and chuckled.

"Big baby." He laughed quietly. I rolled my eyes, who... at a time like this... can make jokes?

   Stifling a glare, I focused my attention on the group of people. Presumably-

   Wait. What was Devon doing here?

   Suddenly it hit me, I couldn't be sure but...

"... I don't give a shit Monroe!"

"It's my business and my business only..."

"Next time you eavesdrop... never see daylight again."

I pondered on that thought for a moment, considering the very real possibility that Devon could somewhat be mixed up in this business. It was too dark behind here to actually notice a tattoo - wherever he may sport it - so I waited, praying that they would leave.

"Doesn't look like she's in here now Asher." The woman piped up, giving him a crooked smile, "come on, we have to get out of here before the cops show." She turned on her heel, linking arms with one of the men, and trotted out. Reluctantly, Asher followed his group, taking one last glance around the room.

His shoulders slumped with defeat as he tucked his knife away and hurried off to find the others. I felt a tug on my arm, Devon was trying to catch my attention, I raised a brow at him.

"On my count, you make a run for the supply closet there-" he pointed to the small closet located on the opposite side of the room, "try to be as quiet as possible, don't bump into anything." He ordered.

Confusion clouded my thoughts, "But they've gone." I countered. Devon gave me an incredulous look.

"Do you..." he huffed, dragging his tongue over his bottom lip, "Do you actually think they didn't know we were in here?" He removed something from his pocket and placed it in my hand, "They will come back as soon as they see fit, and you don't want to be caught out by them, not when we are outnumbered." My fingers fondled with the item in my hand, I saw a glint of silver.

He'd given me a knife. Fear bubbled up in my chest, I was anxious, in all my years I had only encountered one interaction as - if not more - risky.

Slowly, I shuffled to the opening behind the display. Devon raised his hand, readying it to drop. He examined the shop floor, checking for any signs of a lingering member. He made eye contact with me and slammed his hand down, I cringed at the sound.

It resonated through the store, I shot out from behind the display and made my way to the supply closet. Time was against me, there were instant shouts coming from the pomade and the sound of footsteps slowly getting louder, I placed my hand on the doorknob and gasped when it was locked. I heard Devon growl before launching himself from behind the display and throwing all his weight onto the door.

It splintered, smashing open. I shielded my eyes and squeaked when Devon yanked me in after him, shutting the door slowly. The only sound was our heavy breathing and the thumping of my heart, I wouldn't be surprised if Devon could hear it.

The same group of people slid into the room, each one was now on edge, being careful not to miss anything. I was certain that the splintered door would give us away but I didn't comment, oddly... I trusted Devon. If he hadn't have appeared when I hid, I'd be captured right now... or dead.

However, I was still curious as to why Devon was there. I made a mental note to ask him later, I couldn't help my curiosity. Who knows, maybe it'd just be chance, or maybe I'll never get an answer.

That's if they find us.

The woman marched over to the display we were behind and yanked it up, her hood fell backward and exposed long blonde braids each decorated with steel cuffs, "That was the noise, those little shits broke the reinforcement and ran out the emergency door." So that was the noise. Devon must have brought his hand down on the chain connected to the emergency exit and created some sort of aversion.

Two of the men scattered out of the emergency exit and trailed our presumed path. However, the woman stayed.

Ashton was lingering behind her, "Shouldn't we follow them?" He said lowly, motioning to the door. The woman snapped her head around, the braids making a deadly whipping noise as they shot through the air.

She regarded him slowly, "Devon Ackleton is smarter than you think... do you really believe that he would cause such a disruption in a futile attempt of escape?" Ashton paled, shaking his head submissively.

"No." He croaked.

She scoffed, "Useless, useless." Her voice was like nails down a chalkboard, it was as if her vocal chords were rubbing against sandpaper, "Ackleton doesn't run, he hides." She stated.

Her attention turned to the supply closet. A predatory smile appeared on her face as she neared us, my heart rate picked up. I began to shuffle around as best I could, desperate to figure a way out. Devon grabbed my waist and held me in place, digging his fingers into me. I pinched my lips together and waited, trying to block out the ache from Devon's iron grip.

Her face came into clear view, she had one milky blue eye, it was almost as if there wasn't a pupil there. Her other eye was a disturbing red colour, as if she was some sort of demon but despite the ugly outside, she seemed young... broken, and young. She had an ugly scar spanning across the very centre of her face and down her neck. It was pink and angry, bulging out of her face like-

"Bingo." She rasped.

Our time was up.

So, a shortish chapter in comparison to the others but nevertheless. A whole bag of NOPE is about to be opened up in here.

Isn't Devon a little hero...

©️ // ®️